Author Topic: Godin Shifter / Fret-King Ventura - Three pick ups a new trend?  (Read 9853 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: Godin Shifter / Fret-King Ventura - Three pick ups a new trend?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2011, 03:10:22 AM »
...which I would love to hear with a 'hog body. Maple really limited the tones to what I like to call "the JBL tone." IOW, what flavor of too bright would you like?

I think mine (1978) has an alder body.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
Does the Hodad have a 1 meg tone pot? That would explain the almost all or nothing effect.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
I know, but that doesn't change the fact that it's how they appear on your doorstep in stock condition.

No argument there. I tried them when they were new and didn't like them. The cheap hardware went hand-in-hand with their prices. I was never a tic-tac fan anyway.

I also hated the fact that the Epi had no selector switch, so I fitted one.  Drilling into a carved top, set neck instrument was an interesting challenge :)

I also dislike the 3 point bridge, but without major complicated surgery there wasn't much I could do about it.

I have a selector on my TP 12'er and have found it superfluous. I like that the old standard basses lack one. I'm a fan of the three-point. Whomever owend my bass prior obviously did not understand how to adjust it or the neck. The minimal tweaking and ease and accuracy of adjustment required to get it in playing shape with proper intonation puts Fender-style bridges to shame, but it requires a little more thought. Mine arrived with a neck backbow and the bridge set much too high and pitched way too shallow. Loosening the trussrod and repitching the bridge went much easier than I thought it would.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
Does the Hodad have a 1 meg tone pot? That would explain the almost all or nothing effect.

It does - a 1Meg/100k stack pot.  The most unusual pot values on a concentric I've come into contact with.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
I've read that vintage Danos have 1 meg tone pots too, at least some of them, and that it was done b/c the pickups were so bright.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »
1 meg's would roll off less high end than 500 or 250K's.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
D'oh! You're right, of course. The 100k pot would roll off more.

My old 77 Tele Bass (humbucker edition) and the Tele Deluxe had 1 meg tone pots which rolled off less high end. Those had nearly an on/off switch effect. Not quite, though.

That still leaves me wondering about the Hodad.