Author Topic: Gretsch  (Read 12734 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Gretsch
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I tested a Gretsch White Falcon Bass yesterday for a review in our magazine. What a bass! Fookin' good! I love the over-the-top looks and the sound of the great, great, great TV Jones pick ups.

For the vintage section I'm looking for a high resolution picture of an old Gretsch bass, I know there are some around here, but I always forget who they are..... :-[

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Gretsch
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »
The Gretsch 6072 is still way up high on my GAS list...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
For the vintage section I'm looking for a high resolution picture of an old Gretsch bass, I know there are some around here, but I always forget who they are..... :-[

I think Ilan still has a vintage 6072, I don't think he's posted a pic of it here.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
I'll PM Ilan. Thanks!

I also like the 6072 better. But the TV Jones pick ups of the Falcon are great. So a 6072 with those would be great. And there were sold for like 1,500 euros in Holland and I believe Berth told me they were dumped for like 1.100 in the US.
The 6072 is the only bass I like with gold hardware.

But the Billy Bo Bass is THE Gretsch for me:)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
I have tried a reissue and while it was a nice bass, it's a totally different bass from the originals, both in sound and in feel. The new ones play much better than the old but don't have that distinctive vintage huge Gretsch tone.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
Not to mention that distinctive vintage huge Gretsch neck. At least on the basses.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Not to mention that distinctive vintage huge Gretsch neck. At least on the basses.

Exactly. That's one feature I wish they didn't have... It's nice for one song if you like chunky necks, but combined with the neck dive and far reach (look where the bridge is... the 34" scale feels like a 36" scale) a vintage Gretsch bass is uncomfortable for a full gig.

OTOH, they (at least mine) sound awesome, full, round tone, deep lows with acoustic quality, and they are great lookers. I wanted a double-cut Gretsch since I first saw George Harrison's Gretsch that he used on the Ed Sullivan show.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
Thanks for your mail, Ilan! I'll come back to it.

The TV Jones equiped Falcon sounded huge!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
Thanks for your mail, Ilan! I'll come back to it.

The TV Jones equiped Falcon sounded huge!

So does the Thunderjet with TV Jones pups.  It's my favorite short scale bass of all time!  The 6072 RI has the weaker Gretsch pups and I'll be swapping those out some day for the Jones models.  It's a great bass except for the pups.  They just don't have any umph to them!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »
I just love the looks of that Thunderjet.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I just love the looks of that Thunderjet.

Me too!   I also love its short scale and light weight. I take it to every gig and practice.  I sold my SG reissue to buy it and it was worth it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
I thought I'd update this post.  i didn't like the original roller bridge on the TJ (intonation was a pain) and the flat Chromes were muddy and undefined.  So, I put a new Gretsch bridge on with adjustable addles and TI jazz rounds.  Now the bass kicks butt at practice.  The rounds are a perfect match with the TV Jones pups.  The bass rings and has plenty of well defined tone, both lows and highs.  It really has improved the sound of the bass and the guys loved it last night.

This little guy beats every LP bass I've ever had except for my Triumph.  I just can't get away from these short scale basses.  They are so comfortable to play, light to wear and sound great to my ears.  Not a TB for sure, but it does a great job nonetheless.  The TJ and the Club will getting all of the play time at gigs and I'll feel great when they end!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »
That is such a beauty! I wondered about how that original bridge would intonate, this one looks to be better.

Nothing wrong with true short scales. You just can't get that piano string ring on the E but they have their own charm and roundness.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
That is such a beauty! I wondered about how that original bridge would intonate, this one looks to be better.

Nothing wrong with true short scales. You just can't get that piano string ring on the E but they have their own charm and roundness.

I have found, having had 3 of them, that the old style Space Control roller bridge might be fine for 34" scale basses and Gretsch guitars, but it doesn't intonate well on the D and G strings on a short scale bass.  You have to cock the treble side way up toward the heel to get close and then the strings are crooked in the saddle.  It worked fine on the 6072, but not the TJ.

As for the E string ring, I find the difference between my 24 and 30" basses is minimal with rounds.  With flats, forgetaboutit!  The right strings will get pretty close on this TJ.  I was pleased with an open E last night at practice when playing Hoochie Koochie Man.  The sustain on the TJ is pretty darn good and that enhances the piano ring effect as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:51:18 AM by drbassman »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
i'm your hoochie koochie man,  everybody knows i am....   

great tune.  nice bass.  love the TV Jones pups.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM