Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

For Uwe's eyes only.......Gibson Custom shop....

(1/4) > >>

Blackbird:
http://www.clubbass.ca/instock/LS.html

Clubbass is in Toronto, and Dave Freeman, the owner, is great...assuming this is of interest.

Barklessdog:
He's got one already, but looks in mint condition.

Dave W:
Uwe, Bob Gollihur and Jerome Gaw (a/k/a funkycarnivore) all have one. I don't think any of them paid anywhere near that price. Jerome got his off eBay for $500.

uwe:
This is only a Gibson by coincidence. It was initially to be a Valley Arts custom model for Lee who knew one of the Valley Arts people. Certainly. if you look at what kind of basses Valley Arts make, they are closer to the Lee Sklar Sig than, say, a TBird or a Les Paul bass, they even use - horror of horrors - bolted necks and - alas! - EMGs:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/ValleyArts/Valley%20Arts%20Custom%20Pro%20Bass/

Then Gibson, owner of Valley Arts, got a whiff  of things and wanted it to be built in their Custom Shop (with Valley Arts people working there). That's when things veered away from Herr Sklar's intentions: He had hoped for something cheap and affordable, a "working tool" for everyone, but Gibson turned it into this unaffordable "white elephant" project. While he respected the ultimate quality, I have  not found any statement by him according to which he actually ever used what Gibson "forced" on him.

Yeah, I've got one.  :bored: :bored: :bored: In black. One of those basses that takes a conscious effort to play once in a while. The charm of EMGs, Hipshot Drop-D tuner, mandolin frets, maple bolt-on neck and alder body has so far escaped me I have to say. Probably great for being noiselessly fed into a mixing console directly and then being enhanced with studio trickery. A signal provider so to say  ...   :-\

Dave W:
So... you're suggesting that Gibson royally screwed up something bass-related? I'm shocked!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version