Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Model One or Will Power?

(1/3) > >>

Bass VI:
Posted something along these lines on the Other brands forum,
but as these are Mudbucker sized objects ( MSO's? ) I thought I'd see if anyone could descibe the differences, Dimarzio says the WPs' poles are spaced for longer scaled basses ( I'm thinking about my Guild B-302 ) but tonally it has a little more low-end than I may prefer. They don't give the pole spacing for either one, only saying it's a drop-in for a Mudbucker ( like anything is ever a "drop-in" ;D ) Anyway, any thoughts?

Scott ( BassVI )

the mojo hobo:
These two pickups are identical except for pole spacing. I have one of each on my T-bird, and am doing a Carvin the same. Will Power close to bridge and Model 1 close to the neck. I originally had 2 Model 1's in the bird, but took one out and replaced it with a Will Power. The W.P. sounded a bit stronger probably because the poles aligned with the strings better.

The Model 1 sounds great in a Rick too.

Bass VI:
So the WP has wider spacing than the Model one?

eb2:
I believe it is spread slightly off to match up to Fender spacing. It is minor, but if those poles are right under the string it perks them up.  I have seen a few of them in Ricks oddly enough over the years.  If I were to drop one in a 301/302 I would go for the Fender spacing of the Billy Sheehan pup.  Although I don't know that you would find the results that great.  I hate to sound like a parrot, but if I were to do that kind of deed in one, I would opt for a Hagstrom/Dark Star kind of pup.  Not because it is a Guild, but having had both pups I find the DiMarzio to be less dynamic or lively.  I don't dislike the Model One, and appreciate the lack of damage to a Gibson, but I prefer the Hagstroms especially for a bass that would offer more growl and honk than an EB bass.   

And they are "close enough" drop in for a Gibson.  They typically do not fit exactly, and they don't fit an early EB single coil right.  The epoxy seems to be a poured tub mold type of affair.  The lead wire can be "bumped" out in different ways, and I came across one that the installer ground out a bit of wood to accommodate it.

Bass VI:
Interesting, as it is I like the sound of the bass ( two jazz bass style pickups ) it just looks awful. I have found one original pickup and will install that when it arrives. Will have to check out the Darkstars, I know they are highly thought of here. Oddly ( since I own three DeArmonds, a Starfire bass, a Bajo Jet and a Jetstar ) I've never given much thought to them. Thanks for the info on the spacing and the opinions on the DS.

Scott ( BassVI )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version