Author Topic: Asia, with Greg Lake and a headless bass.  (Read 3855 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Asia, with Greg Lake and a headless bass.
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
Re: Asia, with Greg Lake and a headless bass.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
ELP, performing the fastest version of "Eruption" I've ever heard. Interspersed are cool pics of Lake with various basses, including his J-bass, a Ric (which I never knew he played) and what looks like an 8 string Alembic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H8RvNqtByY&feature=related
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
I remember that "Asia in Asia" show. Wetton quit or was fired, and at the last minute, they brought in Emerson. He was quoted as saying something about "Wetton replaced me in Crimson, so..." Yeah, Steinberger. And Lake had an awesome 8 string Alembic with various pirate themed inlays on the fingerboard. He sold it to Entwistle who had it until his death, and was sold in the Sotheby's auction.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Wetton's alcoholism was out of bounds at that point so they ditched him but had commitments in Asia. In comes Lake who had a lower range than Wetton which explains the rather flat delivery of Only Time will Tell. In hindsight, Palmer thought it was a bad idea. Wetton was certainly hurt and had his revenge when after his return and prior to the third Asia album the band dismissed Steve Howe who, annoyed about Wetton's alcoholism, had been pivotal in ousting Wetton after the second album.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
Wetton's alcoholism was out of bounds at that point so they ditched him but had commitments in Asia. In comes Lake who had a lower range than Wetton which explains the rather flat delivery of Only Time will Tell. In hindsight, Palmer thought it was a bad idea. Wetton was certainly hurt and had his revenge when after his return and prior to the third Asia album the band dismissed Steve Howe who, annoyed about Wetton's alcoholism, had been pivotal in ousting Wetton after the second album.

Children...
Clocks.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:10 AM »
An interesting bit of history. I'd wonderd about that. Thanks!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Firing the lead singer/bassist/songwriter was probably not a great idea... It amazes me how delusional some musicians can be in their inability to realize/admit that it all comes down to the singer. I'm not saying that anyone has a free ticket to misbehave because they're the vocalist, but if you're gonna can that person, be ready for the band to just fold. There's no shortage of musicians, but great front people are few and far between.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
Maybe Wetton's drinking had turned into a horror story, ie, causing no shows, forgotten lyrics, throwing up in recording sessions, etc. In cases like what's the best option?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »

I remember seeing the video of that years ago and noticing that he was flat quite a bit. I've always thought that Lake had a general tendency to go flat.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »
Asia without Wetton is like Paul McCartney calling himself The Beatles. He and and Geoffrey Downes are the heart and soul of the band. But by his own admission he was horrible as an alcoholic with a real mean streak.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
Firing the lead singer/bassist/songwriter was probably not a great idea... It amazes me how delusional some musicians can be in their inability to realize/admit that it all comes down to the singer. I'm not saying that anyone has a free ticket to misbehave because they're the vocalist, but if you're gonna can that person, be ready for the band to just fold. There's no shortage of musicians, but great front people are few and far between.

So true.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
I remember seeing the video of that years ago and noticing that he was flat quite a bit. I've always thought that Lake had a general tendency to go flat.

+1
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM