Author Topic: Ze Zenith ... (formerly: Triumph II)  (Read 12501 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Ze Zenith ... (formerly: Triumph II)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »
It's an original design citing history without drowning in nostalgia - not just some anodyne shape. The radical lower cutaway is an acquired taste for a semi, but the upper register access is marvellous. It's not really too far away from the early nineties EB 650ies/750ies Gibson put out and those were pretty basses too. Adding a magnetic pup - there is ample room for one - would have probably given it a wider market though. That said, even piezo sceptics should give that NanoMag and -Flex stuff a try, you might end up pleasantly surprised.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun to play.

Collecting for fin is sin!!!
Sin is in
Lets begin

I heard The mighty soccer nation of Germany could only muster a 4 nil win against the 4th rate world collection of migrant sons calling itself the Socceroos. For shame! As for England and the US  :rolleyes:       
One question though, why is it that the English team is not the UK or British team?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:56:10 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »

One question though, why is it that the English team is not the UK or British team?

No self respecting Scot would play for England. They'd rather play on the Scotland team (Don't Go Home Too Soon) and lose than play for England and win. I'd imagine the Welsh feel the same way, though I don't know for sure. To our Brits, does Northern Ireland field a team?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
Yeah I understand that George but why doesn't the country field a country team. ie UK or Britain? I've met many Scotts who are proud to be British.
Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:21 PM »
I know Scotland fielded a team in the past. One of my favorite bands (Del Amitri, from Scotland) did their theme song a few years back. (OK, more like 12 years ago now!) I don't follow (that) football enough to know whether they field a team every time and they just don't get that far or..? That's why I'm hoping Kenny or Jules will chime in.

The original video (featuring that year's Scotland squad) has disappeared, but here's the song. It's a bit of a dirge, but I think they knew the team's chances...  :-\

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »
The only combined "British" team is the Barbarians, but we field a "British" Olympic squad, and in answer to your question, George, Northern Ireland fields their own squad...

Someone please show me any video of their home nations squad at any sport that are all seen fully singing their National Anthem...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:32 AM »
I know Scotland fielded a team in the past. One of my favorite bands (Del Amitri, from Scotland) did their theme song a few years back. (OK, more like 12 years ago now!) I don't follow (that) football enough to know whether they field a team every time and they just don't get that far or..? That's why I'm hoping Kenny or Jules will chime in.

The original video (featuring that year's Scotland squad) has disappeared, but here's the song. It's a bit of a dirge, but I think they knew the team's chances...  :-\

Cool George. Del Amitri is one of my favorite bands too!! Justin Currie is a fantastic songwriter/ poet.

Twisted is my favorite album of the Dels.
But they're all excellent.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
I still dont get it. Germany dont field a Bavarian team, France dont field a Norman team. Why does Britain field seperate state teams?
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
I still dont get it. Germany dont field a Bavarian team, France dont field a Norman team. Why does Britain field seperate state teams?

Probably because they regard themselves as separate countries within the UK, not just states.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
I lived there for 3 years and still didnt get it  :rolleyes:
Digresion our specialty!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »

It's historical and, of course, political. The English Football Association was formed in 1863, followed by Scotland in 1873, Wales in 1875 and Ireland in 1880. FIFA was formed in 1904 as a body to co-ordinate international matches and rules. Netherlands was a founder, Germany sent a telegram agreeing to join, and the British associations failed to agree between themselves, but did join individually in 1905. They left again after WWI and only rejoined in 1946. While it would make some sense to have a combined UK team (George Best, Denis Law and Ryan Giggs being compelling reasons) it's never going to happen, because the four individual associations have more clout in FIFA than one would.

Presumably if Bavaria had had a separate football association in 1904, they could now have their own team in the World Cup and could be playing Prussia. There are of course strong nationalist movements in Scotland and Wales, that would very much like a looser association with England. As would Cornwall, but that's another story.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:16:01 AM by PhilT »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
Germany had two football teams for some time - East and West - that is now over...

The Auld Enemy and The Union... It's an historical thing dating back to when Queen Elizabeth 1st died with no heir - 1603

A Scottish King (James VI) was invited to take the English Throne as James 1st - King of Great Britain - a con-job really, the English ruled - Scotland was to be allowed her "FREEDOM" at some future point, which never happened...

The Scot's are Scottish first and foremost and have always considered the "Union" to be a temporary matter...

oh... btw , James 1st/6th - his son (4th child) became Charles 1st and his rule resulted in a republic (roughly 1649 to 1660) and his execution in 1649 - a chap called Oliver Cromwell took the reigns for a while...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
I think they were barely keeping up with me Kenny. You just lost them.  ;)

This electric bass thing ... will it catch on?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
I think they were barely keeping up with me Kenny. You just lost them.  ;)

This electric bass thing ... will it catch on?

One of my favorite things about this place is the non-bass specific things I learn here. As a short time guest of your island many years ago, I love learning more about it!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Thanks Phil and Ken. That is the best (in fact only decent) explanation I have ever recieved to that question. Between you you covered the Football and Political reasons.

Much appreciated!

Bret
Digresion our specialty!