Author Topic: Gil Scott-Heron R.I.P.  (Read 619 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Gil Scott-Heron R.I.P.
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:03:38 AM »
Very sad news. He was a true pioneer.

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Gil Scott-Heron R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:46:19 AM »
I really liked his music in the late 60s early 70s and then he kind of dissappeared. I caught him in  concert in the early 70s and although I  enjoyed the music , I took offense at the way he insulted white people , particularly when the audience was at least half white. I walked out. His material is well within my vocal range and I can do a pretty decent job on it but I never have because of his racist attitude. Still, I bear him no ill will and I am saddened by his death. I think he wrote some great songs and was an outstanding performer. He struck me as a very troubled soul. Perhaps now he can find some peace. RIP.
Rick

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »
Hmmm, I never thought Gil of being a racist, quite the contrary.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »
gsh may have been a bigot but not a racist.  i think his mindset and music were appropriate for a young, angry black man in the early seventies. with  new found 'freedom' black folks took full advantage to express their feelings to 'the man'. through music, the printed word and ralleys their collective voice was finally heard and not to be ignored. as always paybacks a bitch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:54:53 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »
I really liked his music, it was just a lot of comments he made between songs that offended me and several others, who also walked out. I'm a fairly thick skinned guy  and I have/had no problem with the "new found voice of the time", in fact I was and still am pretty on board with it, but I sure as hell won't pay good money to hear music and instead get insulted for being born white. I really don't intend to start anything racial here because I'm definately not the guy who would do  such a thing. If it would have been a white performer making insults to the blacks I would have walked out just as fast.
Rick