Author Topic: My very CHROMEY Thunderbird  (Read 5561 times)

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
Re: My very CHROMEY Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Mark, after reading your post I went and checked www.thenastyhabits.com .

Well, I keep my opinion that I like what you did, but in MY point of view I like the original black hardware better and I think all chrome does no look right.

But then I saw your band... well... I think there's no other way your bass should look like!
Only in your hands the red stain satin finish and all shiny chrome hardware would look right! Only you and your outfits can pull that off!

I'm new here and I don't know much about you guys, so sorry about that, but if I had seen your band before I probably wouldn't have said anything about MY taste. This is all about YOUR bass! And I'm sure it will look awesome on you!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »

Hey Daniel

No worries! the best part about this place is that we all are respectful of each other - your honestly stated opinion means a lot too. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
Daniel just defected - us huns always end up surrounded by traitors, sigh ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
Sorry, Uwe!

But when I see long purple hair, long boots and fishnet stockings with shiny acessories...

And Mark, I also saw a picture of you with the bass in original conditon and I see what you mean. With all the production you invest on your looks, that bass with black hardware definitely looks a bit "lifeless".

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
And Mark, I also saw a picture of you with the bass in original conditon and I see what you mean. With all the production you invest on your looks, that bass with black hardware definitely looks a bit "lifeless".

Context is everything!  ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
 Looks great Mark ! That bass suits you !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
Chromosexual...  ;D

"I finally discovered what my "special purpose" is for..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 02:45:53 AM »
Sigh  :-[ , with the "more is more" penchant of you yanks, it is pointless to teach you that such a thing as "subdued elegance" exists.  :rolleyes:

In contrast, Mark has turned his Sixxnature into a Dolly Parton of chrome ...  :mrgreen: ;D :mrgreen: ;D  :rimshot:

PS: Just don't tell anyone that my Sixxnature is meanwhile strung with DR Red Devil coated strings, that is tasteful, not garish!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:58:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 04:06:06 AM »
Well, I keep my opinion that I like what you did, but in MY point of view I like the original black hardware better and I think all chrome does no look right.

I agree. It was trying to go for an overall dark richness, chrome kind of overpowers it. But chrome is nice.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 06:02:12 AM »
I'm sorry, but having grown up in the 50-60's, chrome was "middle-class gold" where I came from.  It's ingrained in us to love it! Heck, if the average car from Detroit didn't have 1,000 lbs of chrome plated metal on it, it wouldn't sell!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 06:19:14 AM »
Uwe thoroughly enjoys fighting a losing battle.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:13 AM »
I really like the finish and the flamed wings on that bass, If it didn't have the x inlays on the neck I would even buy one.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »

Truely I do enjoy "subdued elegance" ( since when is anything involving Nikki Sixx subdued?) on certain things  i.e. black hardware on a natural finish Zebra Bird,it looks great.............. Mr Sixx, if you recall likes his basses to look like badly repainted sometimes not primered cars, all good for him, he can do whatever he wants. I like glammy stuff, my early musical influnces include Slade, T-Rex, Bowie, Kiss and early Alice Cooper............It only follows that I'd want to emulate my heros and Fraulein Rommel gets to do that ( No I'm not some bi - polar nut!) by having some things that are kind of my trademark - including Thunderbirds in lots of colors and one that's covered in chrome, including the Opti-Grab, which equates to a chrome plated dipstick........... ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »
Subdued elegance describes the following bass should satisfy the chromophobes. If you'll excuse the 'F' word:
Fender Midnight Wine P-bass body
Ebony fretless neck (unlined)
Black pickguard
Chrome hardware

The black p/g made the fretless neck look endless. Plus, black brought out the midnight wine color better than a white p/g would because the dark colors make your pupils dilate. A little bit of chome said 'machine' rather than 'gumdrop'.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
This thread has yielded possibly the best band name yet:  Chromosexuals!

(Could even be the name of a car club.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."