Author Topic: Thunderbird Strings  (Read 5512 times)

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Thunderbird Strings
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »
It's everyone's favorite thread right behind the "Show us your..." threads!

So what's everyone using on their Thunderbirds these days?
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »
Guess I should have searched harder:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=146.15

Please chime in if you want though! I'm thinking Sunbeams, as I've just gotten into DR's. I always wanted to like Rotosounds, mainly because of JE, but they've never worked for me or I've gotten a bad set or two.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
I bought Rotosound because of JAE, but I hate steel strings. It's all nickle plated to me. Just normal d'Addario's or Fender 7250s.

I once put d'Addario Chromes on my Bicentennial and the tone died.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
Err, I have to admit that my strings on the Tequila are the same set that were on her when she got put away in 1988, though I tended to use Rotosound, and have a new set at the ready - never had a bad set - round-wound, of course - a light set is my preference, again a JE type of thing...

I did experiment with (RS) Mark King things that had the central core exposed at the bridge - exceptionally b right sound, but easy to snap strings, which I did, so I discontinued their use... shame really, nice idea but too weak...

I shouldn't worry about repition BV as we are both newbies here and I have yet to trawl the depths here - gone through Mark/Veronica's sites and onto Scott/GOT's site now - enjoy the trawling...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:56:32 PM by Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic...! »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
when i had my thunderbird i used dean markley blue steel 105-45 strings,i liked the tone  nice and even.i stopped using rotosound strings about 1985 because nearly every set would have a dead string.which fills me with the dark suspicion that they decided to export all the dodgy sets...
Louder bass!.

Blazer

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
D'Addario. XL Bass.

I used D'Addario slow wounds for years, they were the best, but for some reason they stopped making them.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
DR Hi-beams

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »
D'Addario. XL Bass.

I used D'Addario slow wounds for years, they were the best, but for some reason they stopped making them.

I also used Slow Wounds. Someone told me the new d'Addario strings are all made in the slow wound way, so the normal d'Addario XLs are in fact Slow Wounds. Dunno if it's true, but someone told me...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
That's the reason Jim D'addario gave why the Slowounds were discontinued.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
If I read between the lines I can see you don't agree with that statement, Dave?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 02:40:59 PM »
Ken Smith Rock Masters. Ever since Hugh McFarland (creator of Lakland basses) turned me onto these, I've been using them as often as I can find them. They stay bright a long time. Need to get them to start making 8 string bass sets!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

Ze Fraulein prefers Dr 45-105's, they have a nice clanky goodness to them, last a long time and no "dead" ones, and if Rockin' Ray likes them you know they're good  ;D I've had the very same bad experience with Roto Sounds, dead E string and very short life.
 I really liked Mike Lull's Strings alot too but couldn't use them as I broke them frequently, I just play too hard.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
If I read between the lines I can see you don't agree with that statement, Dave?

No, I have no reason to doubt it. OTOH I never tried Slowunds so I have no way to compare.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
I use DR Black Beauties on my T-Bird which are the same as High Beams, just coated in black goodness! Also available in other colors like blue, red, pink & green.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
D'Addario medium or med light gauge Chromes.