Author Topic: Interstella 5555  (Read 926 times)

Blazer

Interstella 5555
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
Okay I guess that not all of you are familiar with the French band `Daft Punk` but they are a group of people who never show their faces and do interviews masked. Their music is a blend of eighties disco, funk and lounge.

In 2003 they teamed up with Legendary Japanese film maker Leiji Matsumoku to produce what would be the first movie in which the dialogue would be all music of the new millenium: Interstella 5555. Matsumoku is known for his anime series Captain harlock and the interstella movie shares that same animation style.

The plot of the movie is about a record company executive who scouts out the universe looking for musical talent he can exploit to enrich him. But he bites off more than he could chew when he took a band from a planet with blue skinned humans. This might sound like it would make for a dumb movie but...

In my opinion, one of the saddest scenes from an animated movie and the music just fits it so perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:45:23 PM by Blazer »

steveonbass

• View Profile
Re: Interstella 5555
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
Love it!  Air meets Jamiroquai - high praise from me.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Interstella 5555
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
I love that movie! I don't know many other people that have seen it.

My first exposure to Daft Punk (without realizing it) was the song "One More Time" which I heard on the radio back in the summer of 2002 and hated! Then when I was living in Japan I saw posters for the film and just had no interest. I finally got turned on to it via YouTube and picked up the DVDs and fell in love! I can watch it over and over again.

One of my favorite Daft Punk tracks that isn't from that film is "Around the World" - great bass line (definitely Chic/"Good Times"-influenced), and great video directed by another French artist, Michel Gondry, who has also done amazing videos for Bjork, Chemical Brothers, Foo Fighters, and the White Stripes, to name a few:

http://www.youtube.com/v/lH-ORNAOWsQ&hl=en

Matsumoto also did "Spaceship Yamato" which aired in America as "Starblazers"...