Author Topic: BluesHawk Bass  (Read 27403 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: BluesHawk Bass
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
John, I hope you're talking about the overall neck length when you say there's only 1/2" difference. On a 20-fret neck, the difference from the nut to the 20th fret (30" v. 34") is 2 3/4".

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
yes, the overall length

I dont know if the balance difference would be that great?

Wither way I was thinking hipshot light weight tuners.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:08:49 AM by Barklessdog »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 03:15:22 AM »
I'm only able to see the pics now - back from Denmark. I like the concept, but that short scale neck with the modernistic headstock is - forgive me - an acquired taste. I'd definitely go long scale. And if you really put in that Kahler bridge, I don't think neck heaviness will be much of an issue, besides you'll be holding the bass by the whammy bar most of the time in any case!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:35 AM »
I am going to try the long scale for a couple of reasons- I too can't get over the look of the shortscale neck headstock- it's not very Blueshawk looking, also it's not really that comfy with the huge growth behind the nut. A triumph neck would be the best, anyone have one to spare?

The plus side of the Ripper neck is - they are great necks, IT SAYS GIBSON on it - completing the Gibson theme and would ad more value to the project, it will allow me more room for the Pickup placement and as Uwe pointed out it moves the massive  bridge out further for better balance.

I noticed that he Ripper neck is mounted at a slight angle. Does anyone know if the angle is on the neck or in the body pocket ?
What gives the neck the angle?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 08:44:39 AM »
IIRC Gibson puts the angle on the tenon, not the pocket. But it doesn't really matter.

You wouldn't necessarily need the same angle, depending on the bridge height. You may not need any angle.

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
you could always go the Trini Lopez route (no pun intended) and get this...

An Epi Thunderbird bass neck described as a "Gibson Firebird" and listed under guitar parts.  ???  ::) Oh well, it's probably worth the opening bid to someone.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
A trini lopez style EB2 would be great. I like Noel Gallagher playing one and I also like the new Dave Grohl sig. A friend of mine could buy one once for a fair price and we went to see this TL-guitar. He decided he wanted a normal 335. Still hate him about that!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
was able to get the neck off, but I ended up cutting out of the body as it would not budge.

I found out why- there was two metal pins in the tenon- also you can see the shim they used still glued on

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
I routed the chamber it's only 1/2 inch deep going by the blue prints

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2008, 01:44:55 PM »
Rough cut the F holes and  drilled the pot holes. I wanted to drill the holes before the top was glued to the body as I feared drilling in the wood without backing would chip the backside of the holes.

I traced the body on both pieces and drilled holes for two mounting pins that will line up the two pieces correctly when glued.

Next I have to clean up the F holes and glue the top, then cut the body out and do the rest of the cavity routing. I moved the bridge pickup forward a little from the picture

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
did you decide on stain ,dye or spray?Looks good so far. I found my plans and a set of explorer plans from the same  guy,If you know someone  that wants them . Explorer is not my thing. Im still not too clear on the dummy coil  but I can quiz you on that at a later date. Enjoy the sun.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
Why would they put metal pins in a glued-in neck?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
Why would they put metal pins in a glued-in neck?

weird!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
id you decide on stain ,dye or spray?Looks good so far. I found my plans and a set of explorer plans from the same  guy,If you know someone  that wants them . Explorer is not my thing. Im still not too clear on the dummy coil  but I can quiz you on that at a later date. Enjoy the sun.M

I had to cut through the pins or nails with he bandsaw to get it apart-

The idea of a dummy coil is to cancel hum from single coil pups. Alembic has them on their series II or I's. I was told they they have one under the pickguards of mm's and dummy coils under J bass stacked pups.

the dummy coil has the exact windings of the other pickups, but no magnet.

I going to use blue dye