Author Topic: One of the birds has to go back  (Read 4787 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: One of the birds has to go back
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »
I hear you on the stock Fender brigdes.  I never liked them.  I put a BAII on my Precision when I had it.  Now, the G&L bridge I love.  I even lost a saddle screw in mine one night at a gig.  The bass never went out of tune.  I found out after I got home that the screw had shaken out.  I went back to the club, and found it on the floor.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 07:03:51 AM »
All of my Fenders have BAII bridges installed. I HATE stock bridges with a passion. They're always falling apart.

They are? I have owned many fenders and none of the bridges ever fell apart.  What are you talking about?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:16 AM »
Her moderator are you going to allow the blatant use of the F word in the Gibson forum ?  ;D My eyes, my eyes they burn.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:20:15 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowendgenerator

• I'm not a retard, but I play one on stage...
    • View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 07:26:04 AM »
They are? I have owned many fenders and none of the bridges ever fell apart.  What are you talking about?

On a few different bridges over the years I've had the intonation screw back itself out and get lost. I've lost entire saddles at a gig before. The grub screws for height adjustment are either too long, not long enough, or walking their way out of the saddle.

I really like the profile of the BAIIs as well.
Thunderbird > BDDI > SVT-CL > 4x10 CL + 1x18 = :)

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:42 AM »
The grub screws for height adjustment are either too long, not long enough, or walking their way out of the saddle

my son's mim jazz had this problem, too.  used to drive him nuts until we installed a BAII.   no problems since.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »
I hear you on the stock Fender brigdes.  I never liked them.  I put a BAII on my Precision when I had it.  Now, the G&L bridge I love.  I even lost a saddle screw in mine one night at a gig.  The bass never went out of tune.  I found out after I got home that the screw had shaken out.  I went back to the club, and found it on the floor.
i've had this same problem.i also put a badass II on my P.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

lowendgenerator

• I'm not a retard, but I play one on stage...
    • View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
BAIIs rule.  ;D

GC was cool about returning the bass, so I bought a strap and got pierced to make myself feel better.
Thunderbird > BDDI > SVT-CL > 4x10 CL + 1x18 = :)

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »
I posted this over at Jules' forum before I migrated here, but my thunderbird purchase from Gibson last year has already proven interesting.

My case was warped and the bass just floated around in it. I returned it, Gibson speedily sent me a new case that fit great.

My pickups had the thing where they were effectively single coils. Both pickups were not humbucking; defective. Gibson is sending replacements.

Also, when I opened the cavity to shield it (thinking it would alleviate the hum from the pickups) the neck pickup wasn't even soldered to the pot! Its lead was just laying on top of the connector.. uh...

Physically my T-bird is flawless, but the electronics and the case have been wonky. So much for ducking the QC bullet.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
Maybe Gibson will win its suit against Activision and the retailers (thread here) and put the money toward a decent quality control department.  :-\

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »
Gibson QC = the ultimate oxymoron.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 11:50:58 PM »
Gibson QC = the ultimate oxymoron.

That means they're morons? You're right!

NO! The people at Gibson are great! QC is great! (still waiting on the endorser call...;) )