Author Topic: Question about 67ish Fender Bassman Cabinets  (Read 2076 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Question about 67ish Fender Bassman Cabinets
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:00:29 PM »
29 years ago I had two fridge size cabinets and, to keep from lugging them everywhere, I picked up a 2X12 Fender Bassman cabinet that I remember as sounding incredible. I was using a GK800RB at the time and it just had that sound... A few years later a "friend" borrowed and sold the cabinet to some Japanese collector that took a container full to Japan. The idiot thought he'd be able to replace it by the time I found out. Of course he didn't, and it took years before I finally replaced it myself about ten years ago. Problem is, the cabinet I have now doesn't really sound like I remembered (though it is of the same basic vintage- same smaller cabinet, black with silver front). I know memory can play tricks but I thought I'd ask. Were there different speakers that were available in the Bassman cabinets? I don't remember which ones were in my original one, but they didn't look after market. I figure you guys might be able to help me out. Any thoughts (besides the fact that I should have beaten my friend with a bat)?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Question about 67ish Fender Bassman Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
 Some friend, With friends like that.........................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
That sounds more like a Showman than a Bassman cab, and the speakers in those vary by years. The silverface means it could have come from anywhere in the mid to late 60's on to the 80's.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
Ah, I never considered I could have had a Showman cab before... I may never replicate that cab!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:30:59 AM »
I don't think they ever made a 2 x 12 Showman and the Showmans with 12's were blonde. Showman amps always were supplied with JBL speakers.

On the other hand, the Bassman and Bandmaster piggy-back amps had a smallish 2 x 12 cab with speakers aligned horizontally when introduced, later ("67?) they sported larged cabinets with the 2x12's aligned vertically. It sounds like you may have had one of the early ones. The way I remember it they usually had Oxford or Utah speakers and for bass the Utahs were preferred. Other speakers found in these cabinets could be from Jensen or CTS.

Of course back then it was kind of common to blow speakers and replace them so even 29 years ago it didn't necessarily have the original speakers in it.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
I had a 65 Bassman and it had Jensen 12's in it.
IT was the smaller size and I always thought the larger ones were just catering to a "bigger is better market" and didn't sound as good.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »
I don't think they ever made a 2 x 12 Showman and the Showmans with 12's were blonde. Showman amps always were supplied with JBL speakers.

On the other hand, the Bassman and Bandmaster piggy-back amps had a smallish 2 x 12 cab with speakers aligned horizontally when introduced, later ("67?) they sported larged cabinets with the 2x12's aligned vertically. It sounds like you may have had one of the early ones. The way I remember it they usually had Oxford or Utah speakers and for bass the Utahs were preferred. Other speakers found in these cabinets could be from Jensen or CTS.

Doh! I meant to say Bandmaster; don't know why I had "Showman" on the brain.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
Did any of the 2x12s have the "tone ring" setup or was that only on 15s?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
Only the single Showmans had tone rings. Originally a 12" speaker then a 15". The back-side baffling fills the cabinet on the single Showman, a dual tone-ring would need a very large cabinet.