Author Topic: Another Toyota incident  (Read 924 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Another Toyota incident
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
Bear takes Corolla for a joyride

"... there's apparently a very pungent reminder of what bears normally do in the woods sitting on what remains of the driver's seat."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Another Toyota incident
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
And that's the straight poop, too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:07:11 AM »
"A bear in his natural habitat: a Studebaker". - Fozzy Bear
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:54 AM »
At least the bear obviously knew how to work the brake.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:39:44 AM »
Funny how all of the Toyota thing disappeared so quickly?

My brother told me he read that they determined it was the floor mats with driver error.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »
Toyota has always been good at addressing problems and that's one of the reasons people love them. They worked overtime to get the problematic parts replaced so the problem went away.

It seems that all the Toyotas thet I have owned did have migrating floor mats. They would move forward and get under the gas pedal and prevent full throttle. The Subaru that I now own has a floormat restraining system so it doesn't have that problem.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »
It's hard to know how much of the Toyota thing is an replay of the "unintended-foot-on-throttle" problem Audi encountered, and how much of it is real.  It's a cinch that many Toyota drivers are NOT at all aware of driving technique and pedal position.  Drivers who are skilled in heel-and-toe driving are highly, highly unlikely to encounter this kind of problem.  My own hunch is that it's much more driver incompetence than product failure.  (Did you hear about the guy who supposedly had a runaway Toyota for a HALF-HOUR on the freeway while he couldn't get it stopped?  If this ever actually happened, words do not exist to express the level of incompetence he exhibited.)

Not many people remember that the Nissan 300ZX was right behind Audi with the "unintended acceleration" complaints.  My feeling has always been that the problems occurred when people who were mostly unskilled in driving and inattentive to their foot position bought "move-up/status" cars, which the Audi and 300ZX were at that time.  Of course, since they were not attuned to driving, these folks bought automatics - and then proceeded to hit the wrong pedal because they paid no attention to what they were doing.  (Anyone who would order a 300ZX sports car with an automatic transmission automatically falls into this category.)

I tend to lump many Toyota sedan drivers into the same category....possibly unfairly.  Possibly not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:26:21 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."