Author Topic: Eastwood Classic  (Read 836 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Eastwood Classic
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Any opinions ... big bodied shortscale , modelled on the Gretsch .
I haven't had a big hollowbody since I sold the Rivoli a couple of years ago . Not expensive , this looks like it might be fun . Might tide me over until a big bat winged Harmony H22 comes my way ... I won't lose money on it .

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Eastwood Classic
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 08:18:04 AM »
At least it looks good. I'd play it more than my longscale Gretsch that's for sure. Not man enough to handle the 6070 :-[

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
A friend of mine has the guitar version. And that is a very good guitar.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
If it sounds like other current hollowbody Gretsches, I'd save the money for that future H22.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
Flats on it , still fairly new . Not a mark on it . Just played it with headphones , sounds richer than I expected . Jury's out until I hear it through my stage rig at room volume , but so far I like it .
Herself says I'm going to have to work on the wardrobe .
Previous owner put on a different bridge , took off the pickguard . Included the old bridge and guard , mounting screws too .
Medium low action , intonation is good . Comfortable to play . Weight is fine . Seems well balanced . Initial reaction is positive , I like it .
I was kind of expecting that trashy looking gold binding the Gretsch Falcons have , but it's a pale yellow binding . Funny looking shark fin inlays , I can live with that . It's a good looking thing and from my initial impression seems well made .
$400 Cdn . Good price !
Edit
Put the original bridge on , works fine . Might go back to the handmade bridge , we'll see . I'll be dragging this out to the gig Sunday to hear it at room volume . The flats on it have a dark blue winding , both ends . GHS maybe ? Not sure . Anyway , my initial reaction is a big two thumbs up . I like big bodied hollowbody shortscales !  Serious fun to play .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:15:44 PM by morrow »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »
Good move buying used! I've always thought Eastwood instruments were a smidge overpriced for what they were in terms of parts, fit and finish etc.

Harley Benton made a suspiciously similar bass for a spell. I always imagined they shared some DNA somewhere down the line. https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb_60_wb.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadmSmSjo3CJ4k1cZFpJ6_ikmJAqgK4m_CEberMJAUONHAtYH3aVnCzRoCJPEQAvD_BwE

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »
That has more of an EB2 or Rivoli shape but the overall fittings look suspiciously similar . My guess would be same factory and assembly line and badged differently .
That's an insanely great new price though . Eastwood seem to be sitting around $860  from what I've seen poking around today .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:30:29 PM by morrow »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
Major Gretsch fan here. Never played one I didn't like!

I like it...and I respectfully disagree that current Gretsch hollows are lacking in sound.  My 5123 is a very nice bass and the band loves the way it sounds.

That's a great looking bass.  I see they copied the look of the Gretsch pickups, or simply used them. If you end up wanting to install Filtertrons or Thundertrons, they should be drop-ins to install.

Not sure what the deal is with the bridge. The Gretsch roller bridges are excellent IMO, but the standard flating-style-wood bridges work just fine.

I think you did great!!  Very classic look!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:42:11 AM »
I've done a number of gigs with the Eastwood now . We're almost covid free in Nova Scotia , we're dealing with reduced room capacity , masks and social distance , but some gigs are back . I'm out making a spectacle of myself every weekend . It's good .
I was thinking I might be changing the pickup when I got the bass , but it sounds really good . For the time being I've no desire to change anything . Surprise !
The body is a little bulky , it's nowhere near as comfortable to play as some others are , but I'm getting used to that . It is what it is .

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
It's better to look good than to feel good, and...