Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

New micro practice rig

(1/1)

Pilgrim:
I practice with my band in a basement which has a narrow stairway for access.  I get tired of dodging the walls with my Fender Rumble 100 or my Genz Shuttle on a 12T head.

I found a solution!  A Roland Micro-Cube 20XL-Bass.  20 watts into an 8" speaker, and a hair lighter than the Rumble, but also smaller in every dimension.

It has a built-in tuner, compression, reverb, and some other stuff I don't expect to use.  But those options eliminate the need to bring my pedal board. It also emulates four different classic amps, including an Ampeg Flip-Top and a Fender tube Bassman, which are all the options I plan on using. 

The band practices at very moderate volume, and this little gem is just right.  Saves room, easy to carry and as long as you don't try to dime it, sounds very nice and very bassy.

I actually bought one through Guitar Center but had to return it because it was the guitar version.  The model numbers for the guitar and bass versions are actually the same, and it fooled the place that took it in trade.  I had given up on the idea, but then spotted one on Ebay at the same price.  Got it for under $200.

I'm quite happy with this as a practice amp. Why the upload turned some photos 90 degrees, I don't know.  When I click on them they come up looking correct.

morrow:
Looks like the perfect solution ! I hate lugging around bulky , heavy gear . I moved around fridges when I was younger .
I use a little GK MB150 for a lightweight rehearsal amp , small and weighs next to nothing . I once blew it up and loved it enough to get it fixed . Expensive repair at the time but that was over ten years ago and it still works like a charm .  I initially bought it for my upright , and then used it for practice , studio stuff and rehearsals . Now I have separate dedicated practice rigs as well .
I like to keep my gig rig completely separate from practice or rehearsal rigs . And like small lightweight stuff .

Dave W:
The Roland Cubes are excellent for what they're designed to be. Could even be used for low volume gigs. Sounds ideal for your situation.

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: Dave W on July 25, 2022, 12:31:57 AM ---The Roland Cubes are excellent for what they're designed to be. Could even be used for low volume gigs. Sounds ideal for your situation.

--- End quote ---

Thank'ee.  As it happens, the lead guitar player brings a Roland guitar micro cube to practice and outputs it to the PA system in the practice area. Works like a charm. That wasn't my prompt to get it, but I was amused to notice it after I used this amp at practice..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version