Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

Ampeg SVT-212AV

(1/2) > >>

OldManC:
I've been wanting to try one of these and finally found one at a decent price. Of course when it got to me one of the speakers was intermittent, and distorting whenever it cut in at full volume. The seller says he's willing to work with me on getting it straightened out, so I'm trying to decide the best route to take. Ampeg lists these as "custom Eminence LF driver(s)" but I can't get my local service center to return an email, which makes me less excited to give them any money to fix this.

Do any of you know whether these have an equivalent that I can order from somewhere else? Or, is this worth trying to get fixed? FYI, the cone looks perfect, so I'm guessing it's the coil? I really don't know...

amptech:
I do warranty repair on Ampeg amps, l can ask Yamaha for advice and come back to you. Feel free to notify me if I don't respond here the next couple of days :)

OldManC:
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

Granny Gremlin:
Before you do anything else check the connections.  Most major manufacturers use slide on connectors vs soldering the wires to the terminals.  One connection may be dirty or slipped off (they can loosen or oxidize over time).  If look securely attached try cleaning them and crimping them back on better with some pliers.

Then if you don't have a meter to check for open or short coil, try pushing the cone gently in/out - hear any rubbing?  No rub don't mean no problem, but if you do hear it then you know its toast.

OldManC:

--- Quote from: Granny Gremlin on April 06, 2021, 12:12:21 PM ---
... hear any rubbing?  No rub don't mean no problem, but if you do hear it then you know its toast.

--- End quote ---

Yep... I looked up speaker repair (it's been 40 years since I had a speaker repaired) and most places only mentioned reckoning. I think the coil is toast. Is that repairable these days?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version