Author Topic: Fretless EB-2  (Read 1806 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Fretless EB-2
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Modded, not a factory fretless but looks like a reasonable price.
https://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/product/gibson-eb2-fretless-modified-vintage/

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Fretless EB-2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »
That looks salvageable.
The awful Hipshot has to go first.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »
Is that a reasonable price for a complete refin, defret, and electronics gut job now?  Sigh.  Apparently an unmolestd one is gonna be 2k +/-.  Boy did I ever miss the boat on these :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:46:14 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »
Wow, Luthiers Access Group. Haven't seen that name in years. Looks like the place to go for ugly basses.  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
Is that a reasonable price for a complete refin, defret, and electronics gut job now?  Sigh.  Apparently an unmolestd one is gonna be 2k +/-.  Boy did I ever miss the boat on these :(

The last time I saw an unmodified EB-2 for under $2K was about five years ago, locally. It was $1800.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
The last time I saw an unmodified EB-2 for under $2K was about five years ago, locally. It was $1800.

EB-2D is on my personal "must buy in 2019" list so I've been following the market pretty closely...

They do pop up well under $2K but that's a bass that I would be scared to buy sight unseen. There was - maybe still is - a gorgeous sunburst '67 on TB for $1700 or so. GC in Manhattan had 4 at one point, priced from $1200 to 2800, I tried all of them and unfortunately both the 1200 and 1800 pieces needed a neck reset, and badly so. Both sold nevertheless.

GC somewhere in MA bought a colection of EB-2D and Guild Starfire basses from a widow of retired bass player, I'll never forgive myself for not grabbing at least one of those. A couple of them are still out in various GCs over the country, but only the most expensive pieces remain... :sad:

"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
Yes, the prices have gotten pretty steep for the old EB-2.  I guess if it hasn’t got a snapped headstock it’s worth a premium these days as well. But with that caveman sand through on the top ply it’s really a sad beast. Great for the classic champagne sparkle refin but other than that I’d rather buy a complete wreck husk and pay a lot less.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.