Author Topic: Fender Lotto project  (Read 16683 times)

PeterB

• View Profile
Fender Lotto project
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:43:53 PM »
Although I'm the newest member in the house at the moment, I thought it might be interesting to kick off a project topic myself. I did some before of which these two are the most interesting, a Tractor and a Darkstar-P:

Currently I'm working on creating a Fender Lotto, but in a different color. This should be the result at the end:

I heard a Squier TB with an extra humbucker of a Dutch bassist and was blown away by the power and the big bottom of it. After that, it didn't take long to decide to create a copy of the Lotto. I've considered many colors including Orange, CAR, black, and some more, but I wanted something "classy", but not the usual black. After seeing a Charcoal Frost P body on Warmoths site it was clear, Charcoal Frost it should be. The body is on it's way, but is lying in Dutch customs right now.

I have already gathered all the parts, including the big buckers:

A few things won't be like the original:
* I will also add a parallel/series switch for both pickups;
* I'm doubting about the bridge. I'm not a big fan of the BadAss bridge, so maybe I'll just choose a Gotoh 201;
* I have a Allparts Jazzneck with black blocks and binding for the Lotto, but still have to do some experiments to see if I can transform the usual Fender headstock into a Tele headstock.

I'm glad I will get some good help of a fellow bassist for the electronics, because that's just one step to far for me.

Besides the Lotto, I have some other projects on the shelf:
* a low-cost FenderBird (with Jazzbody, Epi T-bird neck and a Mel Schacher mod)
* a NR FenderBird (with Lindy Fralins Bassbuckers and Allparts blocked Jazzneck)
* an 8-string (with a Darkstar and a ??)
* a Telecaster guitar project
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:15:48 AM by PeterB »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Lotto project
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
Lots of project fans here...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
May i ask you where you found those Fender Buckers??!!

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
Offcourse you may ask. I bought them here: http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
 That looks like a really cool project !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:23:04 AM »
For the Lotto Bass I would use a G&L ASAT Body. That would really nail the vibe.,

Nice basses

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
Offcourse you may ask. I bought them here: http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm

Darren Riley's shop is only a couple of miles from my house! He's a great guy and really knows what he's talking about!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »
For the Lotto Bass I would use a G&L ASAT Body. That would really nail the vibe.,

Nice basses

I've thought about that or a Warmoth custom T body, but I'm a bit afraid of a big neckdive. I've tried an ASAT a few times, but wasn't comfortable with the feel.  So the P-body will have to do it.

And...my Warmoth P body is into foreign customs now since the 2nd of november....I'm beginning to loose some patience here  :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »
A friend has solved the neck dive problem with the Tele guitar body. First, by using a short scale 19 fret Mustang neck, and second, by removing the wood between the neck pickup and neck pocket, which allows him to mount the neck deeper into the body. He says no neck dive whatsoever.

But then it wouldn't be a Lotto Bass project, would it?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:11 AM »
Very, very, very cool, Peter Farmer! I love it!

Here's mine:

That was at the Messe. Hate that colour.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I know a cure...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
i think that looks sweet
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:24:05 AM »
Hey Chris, Peter Farmer? Haha  ;D And how should I translate Chris Dekker in a way it would not be offensive?  ;)

I remember those pictures, love the color but I would prefer Candy Apple Red instead of that finish. And....it was only at the Messe, or did you take it home? (if so, please invite me...)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
The name Dekker has nothing to do with a Dutch word for bulls making cows pregnant, but all with thatched cottages. For mr. Farmer: Rietdekker. So you could translate my name as Chris Thatcher. And I don't have an aunty Margaret.

I only held the Lotto in my hands. I haven't plugged it and I left it at the Messe.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
That reminds me of reading a Babelfish translation of a German page about some kind of test meter for pickups. The translation said the designer was a "pickup farmer" (from Bauer).