Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix, 44 years ago  (Read 8218 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Jimi Hendrix, 44 years ago
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »
Today is the anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's death, 44 years ago.

Here is Jimi on upside-down righty bass, with Robert Wyatt. No rehearsals - this was his first and only take.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi Hendrix, 44 years ago
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
So he was good at that too, how depressing!  :-\

Of course, just by the sheer size of his hands, Hendrix could have done things on double-bass other players can only dream of.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
He did the bass solo in "1983" if memory serves me correctly...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Jimmy's playing bass all over Electric Ladyland! Long hot summer night, Gypsy eyes, Watchtower all good stuff. Here's some bass lines he layed down with Curtis Knight.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Thanks, Ilan.  Very cool. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
When I was a kid, my first serious band was with a guitarist who had an album out already at 15 y.o.
He was a real HENDRIX freak...even used to play with his teeth during our set.

One of the things that always has stuck with me was that it was I who called him the day Jimi died, to tell him. He called me a lier and got mad and hung up. He later called me back in tears when he heard it was true.

First band I ever was getting paid to play gigs with, at 16 y.o. Looked up to that kid since he was the local cool kid with the album :)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
On the "Electric Ladyland" album, Hendrix didn't play bass, of course, on "Voodoo Chile."  As is well known, Jack Casady did.  But he did play bass on over half the songs, the exceptions being Crosstown Traffic, Little Miss Strange, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, Come On (Let the Good Times Roll,) and Voodoo Child (Slight Return,) all played by Noel Redding.  Also there is one song on the album that doesn't have any bass, although I can't name it at the moment. 

Often when he would end up playing bass somewhere--like unannounced at a club--I think he did it mostly as relaxation.  After playing music all day in a studio, he would relax by playing even more music.  In the early days when Noel Redding would accompany him, sometimes Noel would play guitar and usually Hendrix would end up playing someone's right-handed bass upside down (as noted in the first post.)
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
I've known a local guitarist, Dash Morgan, for nearly 30 years.  He was and still is a huge Hendrix fan.  He was playing SG's back then and I found a mid 70's black/maple Fender Strat that was left handed but set up for a right handed player.  I knew it would be perfect for him so he bought it. ($300, hey, it was the mid 1980's!)   He still uses the guitar to this day. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
There was talk of Steve Stills' working as his bass player for a while... on Stills' first solo LP they did just that on one song, so the story goes...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
Stephen's bass playing on the first CSN album is awe inspiring.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:49:58 PM by patman »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Stephen's bass playing on the first CSN album is awe inspiring.

Absolutely!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
On the "Electric Ladyland" ...  Also there is one song on the album that doesn't have any bass, although I can't name it at the moment. 

The "Rainy Day" song(s) has organ bass.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
The "Rainy Day" song(s) has organ bass.

Thanks. I think you're right.  That should clear up who did or did not play bass on that.  That's probably my least favorite song on the album, but all of them can't be favorites. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:17:08 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal