Author Topic: New Squier basses...  (Read 7568 times)

Blazer

New Squier basses...
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:52 AM »
And they're looking mighty tempting...
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&subcat=classicvibeseries

The "Classic vibe" Fifties P-bass

The "Classic vibe" sixties P-bass

The "Classic vibe" sixties Jazz-bass

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Squier basses...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »
They do, but the other recent Squiers I've seen sure don't measure up when you see them in person. That's probably no surprise considering their price range.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
The first two look gorgeous. And if they're as good as the Tele Bass.....

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:38 PM »
And if they're as good as the Tele Bass.....

.....then (IMHO) they won't be very good. I saw the Squier Tele Bass when it was introduced at Summer NAMM last year. Major disappointment if you're expecting anything like the original. But typical of that price range.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »
It's a Squier, so it has bad pots, cheap controls and tuners and capped basswood. But it looks very good, I love the satin feel of the neck and it sounds great!

Bart!, Basvarken and I organised a mini Outpost-fest with a lot of Ricks, Fenders, Burns', Gibsons, Orvilles, Grecos, etc. and along with my '64 Burns the Tele was a big surprise! Bart! used to have a real one and he thought this ones sound is more usable. Very Fender-ish, but much fatter.

A pro band uses mine on tour through Holland now!

Ofcourse I changed the controls and I want to do the same with tuners and pots.

I have an original Fender Tele humbucker around here somewhere.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
I'm going to have to buy one of those 50's P basses.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
I am with Rockinray - I think the 50s P/60s Tele bass take-off is very cool, and for what you get for the money with Squier stuff it is hard to complain.  Especially if you grew up with Kent and Kay import junk.  Sure the bodies are bungo wood, but they do cover them up nicely with shiny cool paint.  My feeling is that they are not as well-made as the 80s Squier Japan stuff by a long shot, but not bad and my only real complaint is the truss rod holes always have a cheesy vibe. Fun.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »
Cheesy vibe or not, you'll need frequent access to try to keep those green necks in adjustment.

At least a small percentage of Kent and Kay junk is still being gigged. I'm not confident any recent Squiers will still be in use 30-40 years down the road.

Blazer

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 09:15:53 AM »
Cheesy vibe or not, you'll need frequent access to try to keep those green necks in adjustment.

At least a small percentage of Kent and Kay junk is still being gigged. I'm not confident any recent Squiers will still be in use 30-40 years down the road.

But then again, who can tell? Maybe in the future some well known guitarist will use a 2004 made Squier as his main guitar. in the same way that players like Mark Knopfler use an old silvertone.

I mean if the Yamaha CP70 electric piano is getting back in vogue...

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »
I'm not gonna say that Squier basses don't have their share of problems, even the newer ones. I've seen and played the 'Vintage Modified Jazz' with the Black Block neck in 3 or 4 different stores, and each has had a minor finish flaw and either a bent pot or strange issue with the pickup. The fretless is a little better but still the same rule applies. I haven't had the joy of playing the 'tele' yet, so I can't comment.
But honestly for the price you're paying you're getting something you could mod out for a little cash and have a fairly nice instrument for FAR LESS than you'd be paying for a vintage one or even a reissue. And unless you're buying a reissue, you'll probly be paying something or spending time fixing minor age flaws, or in some cases major age flaws. Which, I'm not saying you couldn't get a MIM Fender for around the same price, I'm simply saying its an alternative.

I really enjoy the satiny finish of the 'VRI' necks, and as everyone else has said; they just have a great vibe, despite the negative feelings that most people have when seeing the Squier logo. I've been thinking about getting that Jazz or Tele for a while, but after seeing these... I may just hold off. I have a hidden love for all 3 of those colors.  ;D

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:22:01 AM »
My local store has the 60s P in. I'll try her out amplified next weekend, but today I only held it in my hands.

- Very nice looking bass with a chrome bridge cover and thumb rest.
- The neck/headstock has a dark laquer, exactly like the Fender Classic Series.
- The blue is a bit darker (older vibe?) than the powder blue of a USA Tele hanging in the same shop.

But:

- The w/b/w has a black layer whch is way too thick.
- Cheap controls and tuners.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:06:23 AM »
That classic vibe 50's P REALLY is tempting, but I'm a complete sucker for that shade of blue.  I have a Turser JTB-401 already, and it's really the same bass...but it's black.

Check it out....no real differences at first glance, other than the tugbar on the Squier....

Stock shot:

My bass with bridge cover added:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »
It's still a Squier.  :P

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies