Author Topic: Dudepit Lakland Special Order  (Read 3997 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dudepit Lakland Special Order
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
I also like tort on the right colors (including burst), but it has to be a good looking tort as well, like on the above (great looking) P.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
So, a tort discussion? Here's my opinion: either real 60s Fender - or Spitfire tort (in the pics). And only on 3TS.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
I also like tort on the right colors (including burst), but it has to be a good looking tort as well, like on the above (great looking) P.

That's my '63 P which has a '72 neck. Color is a Ford metallic brown from around 1972.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
I'm not clear about what happened there, as I was never too interested in new basses in general and new east-Asian basses in particular, nor have I understood the hype around the Darkstar other than it being a very attractive looking pickup in a P/J-dominated bass world.

The tort they used is really horrifying. If I owned this bass I'd have a Gibsonesque 5-ply b/w/b/w/b pickguard made for it.

The Darkstar was hugely overhyped. "It's a wide range pickup." Big deal, so are EMGs. I want a pickup that sounds good to me, regardless of how its range looks on paper. I liked the original Guild Bisonics well enough, but the Darkstar was a much modified version that Casady and Lesh used in the late 60s - early 70s... and then abandoned. They moved on quickly. If it was such a fantastic pickup, why?

It got so bad at the Dudepit for awhile that every old cheap husk on eBay was posted as "Darkstar candidate?" Ridiculous! Those basses did retain some value for awhile, but only because the same group of people were buying them from each other.

Still, if you like the tone, fine with me. But my clear impression was that a lot of guys liked it because they were told to, swallowed the hype and jumped on the bandwagon.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 01:51:13 AM »
Anyone knows if the Guild Bisonic was a swedish Hagstrom in the beginning? Or was it the other way around? You, who's in the know, should let the light shine on all of us?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 06:28:46 AM »
The Darkstar was hugely overhyped. "It's a wide range pickup." Big deal, so are EMGs. I want a pickup that sounds good to me, regardless of how its range looks on paper. I liked the original Guild Bisonics well enough, but the Darkstar was a much modified version that Casady and Lesh used in the late 60s - early 70s... and then abandoned. They moved on quickly. If it was such a fantastic pickup, why?

It got so bad at the Dudepit for awhile that every old cheap husk on eBay was posted as "Darkstar candidate?" Ridiculous! Those basses did retain some value for awhile, but only because the same group of people were buying them from each other.

Still, if you like the tone, fine with me. But my clear impression was that a lot of guys liked it because they were told to, swallowed the hype and jumped on the bandwagon.

Exactly the sort of level counter argument I have come to expect from you Dave

Personally I never had the pleasure - at what, US$350 a pop I couldn't justify the cost, but some of the sound  samples I heard were appealing.  Granted, with my mudbucker obsession at the time, it could have been a simple matter of bandwidth in my case.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 07:10:58 AM »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
Remember this one? Darkstarred 4004L

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
I've written my thoughts on Bisonics here before. Basically a surprisingly high fidelity pickup for the era. Quite detailed, almost unforgiving. At one point rate, unobtainable and massively overhyped. A single coil pickup with a squat fat coil like a P90, big magnet(s) and a ridiculously convoluted pole height adjustment system copied from those '50s Dynasonic guitar pickups. The cynic in me wonders if Hagstrom tried to pass the adjusters off as a second row of poles, hence the 'bi' in Bisonic... what else is there two of? Glue all that shite into an oversized Art Deco surround and you're away!

I recall that period where everything was getting Darkstars installed?, albeit on Talkbass.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »

It got so bad at the Dudepit for awhile that every old cheap husk on eBay was posted as "Darkstar candidate?" Ridiculous! Those basses did retain some value for awhile, but only because the same group of people were buying them from each other...

:mrgreen: That made me laugh because I totally remember that.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »
Remember this one? Darkstarred 4004L

That specific instrument is one that got my juices flowing on  becoming a builder. FWIW, I love the new Guild BS-1, as do folks who own a few of my builds with them installed.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 11:21:08 PM »
Anyone knows if the Guild Bisonic was a swedish Hagstrom in the beginning? Or was it the other way around? You, who's in the know, should let the light shine on all of us?

I thought the Bisonic was always made by Guild but first appeared in a Hagstrom bass.

Guild sell a version today for about a hundred bucks .
https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/guild-bs-1-bisonic-bass-pickup/?v=e71bc9c013d9

That one sounds good in the Guild Newark Street (MIK) Starfire reissue. Despite the text description, It's a reissue of the original Bisonic, not a souped up Darkstar.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Talked the Guitar Museum, here in Umea, Sweden. They have the same history concerning the Bisonic, as you Dave -  Guild pups sold to Hagstrom, Sweden. Thanks for fast answer!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 01:50:04 AM »
Remember this one? Fender Custom Shop Abuelo Bass from winter NAMM 2019?

Sounds very good imho: https://fb.watch/8PxzZpu8g5/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:58:18 AM by ilan »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 06:02:07 AM »
Remember this one? Fender Custom Shop Abuelo Bass from winter NAMM 2019?

Sounds very good imho: https://fb.watch/8PxzZpu8g5/

Sounds good, but not $7K good. Novak Bisonic.