Author Topic: Peter Cook Axis bass... one of 8 built...  (Read 2826 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cook Axis bass... one of 8 built...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
I guess everything about Peter Cook these days centres on the amount of people and companies producing some sort of trib to his FenderBird and ExplorerBird concept, that (obviously) originated with JAE... as noted above, the only issue this beast has it's her unique design... nothing else that similar...
PC is vary JAE, can't argue that... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »
The problem might be that you could count all the interested parties on one hand? I know there is one guy who buys a lot of John Birch guitars and basses when they come up for sale. There's a chance that if you are bidding on a John Birch instrument you are up against this guy, so that will drive up the market. I'm not sure a Peter Cook instrument even generates the sort of ripples that a Birch instrument does. We know who he is, we know that he built things for John Entwistle, but is there more of note beyond that?

Exactly. And that's why it hasn't sold at the asking price.

I guess everything about Peter Cook these days centres on the amount of people and companies producing some sort of trib to his FenderBird and ExplorerBird concept, that (obviously) originated with JAE... as noted above, the only issue this beast has it's her unique design... nothing else that similar...
PC is vary JAE, can't argue that... ;)

So many tributes, and how many younger players know of Peter Cook these days?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:44 PM »
So many tributes, and how many younger players know of Peter Cook these days?

Sad but true...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are the pickups in the Axis bass? They look surprisingly modern against the general '70s aesthetics of the bass. Anything exotic like low impedance designs?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »
Peter cook spoke to "Flat Eric" on the instruments some time back but did not got to much further than, "At this time I also developed and made the ‘Axis’ guitar and bass with an active, on board parametric tonal system..."
He worked on both my RD and his own build I own; I've spoken to him on FB... Flat Eric let him have the Axis guitar he located... I believe he still owns the bass shown in his blog...
AFAIK the pickups are of his own design and are fairly conventional, but without a strip-down I'm not sure... PC is pretty reticent to discuss his instruments and is very aware a few words could alter the value of an instrument...

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2011/01/peter-cook-axis-bass-and-guitar.html

A video link on the above link is dead, unfortunately...