Author Topic: Gibson Ripper rescue  (Read 37771 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Ripper rescue
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
So good to hear from you CW.  Glad you are still kicking!  Have a wonderful Christmas!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
Thanks for checking in, CW. Always good to hear from you even if only occasionally.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
Are you still looking for the tuner washers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1973-USA-GIBSON-EB-BASS-GUITAR-TUNER-WASHER-SET-EB-O-1970s-/261354484256?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cd9f0f220

Edit: Posted too quick. These are for the M-4S Tuners.

Ahh no worries, thanks for thinking of me and my project anyway.  Yup, still looking.  I have ones that are 1mm too big so they'll do but they'll need to be carefully kept in place when the ferrule is pushed in, but it would be nice to have the proper ones.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
note to self:
1) order blanks from S
2) get blanks and send one to Dar to make new die
3) trim blank
4) send one to Neep

Thanks for popping into my thread.  Nice to hear from you, and as I said before there's honestly no rush for this.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
Any news from me?  Well, it turned out that Aaron Armstrong couldn't help me with my pickup and was honest and straight up with me about it.  Pickup returned, no worries.  So I've splurged on a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop set of Ripper replacements, which are currently languishing in UK Customs somewhere, awaiting the oh-so-difficult calculation of 20% VAT :rolleyes:.  I went to see the neck/body at Rich's place a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it's looking even better in real life.  I hope to have it back soon, if not before Christmas then early in the new year.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
Thanks for popping into my thread.  Nice to hear from you, and as I said before there's honestly no rush for this.

good to be here Neep. had my game set back a year or so but it is coming back slowly. I got the plates ordered from Sandy this morning. it will be after New Years when they arrive and then I have to send a couple to Dar so he can make the die. I know it doesn't sound like much but that last sentence is way more than 300$ so it will take a bit of time for me to pay it off so thanks, it will take a bit of time.

I need to get back going on this anyways and this is a good excuse, in fact a better excuse than most, lol.

I will let you know when I need your address. CW
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
hey Neep, got the blanks today and they look quite nice. now to try and get hold of Dar and see how and when he can work his magic.

sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy = seems anymore I am a bit on the shakey side but I can assure you it looks nice. all the periods are there as was NOT the case on my prototype. the fonts a bit off verses the original but they are very close. now I have to get a die made to cut them to the original size.

Sandy has programming to make fonts and these are as close as she could get and she had an original I had sent to her to copy from. the font size is very very close and a Gibson fanatic would be hard pressed to see a difference if he did not have an original to compare with. as it is, I had to make them as close as I could but this way I can claim these to be a reproduction and not an original as it carries the Mallory name and part number.

the plan is to sell these, get filthy rich, buy the world and then send Carlo to Mars.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:12:54 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
hey Neep, got the blanks today and they look quite nice. now to try and get hold of Dar and see how and when he can work his magic.

sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy = seems anymore I am a bit on the shakey side but I can assure you it looks nice. all the periods are there as was NOT the case on my prototype. the fonts a bit off verses the original but they are very close. now I have to get a die made to cut them to the original size.

Sandy has programming to make fonts and these are as close as she could get and she had an original I had sent to her to copy from. the font size is very very close and a Gibson fanatic would be hard pressed to see a difference if he did not have an original to compare with. as it is, I had to make them as close as I could but this way I can claim these to be a reproduction and not an original as it carries the Mallory name and part number.

the plan is to sell these, get filthy rich, buy the world and then send Carlo to Mars.

That looks great, even with being fuzzy.  A great finishing touch for my project.  I look forward to these becoming available, cheers for keeping me posted :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »

Thanks, but once was enough!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
Their factory is in Slough, west of London... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
Well Neep...how is it coming along or still in holding pattern? I am personally excited having uncovered a very nice '74-'75 all blonde in original condition in the past week. Currently negotiating the price/ trade. I am of same mind as you that the one thing I am not a fan of is the 'out of phase' option and thinking if I can somehow substitute that for something useful

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
When Terry puts in my new SDs, he's going to rewire the weird and seldom used #4 position so it operates only the other pickup.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
Hey, yeah that mod mentioned in the video is the way to go. Just the neck pup. It seems simple enough to do.
Surprisingly the Ripper I'm looking at is pristine inside. No gas problem.. Actually what I was also thinking of doing was having a nice tortoise ( yellow and brown) guard made up because eventually there might be a gas leak. I know after 40 years if it hasn't when will it? if I'm able to snag it I won't let that happen.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
looks stunning in red
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »
...Actually what I was also thinking of doing was having a nice tortoise ( yellow and brown) guard made up...

naturals look great with tort