Author Topic: John Entwistle solo on the Smothers Brothers show  (Read 1641 times)

Blazer

John Entwistle solo on the Smothers Brothers show
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
Okay I guess we all know the footage of the Who playing the Smothers Brothers show where they mimed (only Roger's vocals were live) to a pre-recorded version of "My generation" which even included smashing noises.

But what that pre-recorded version also had was a unique version of Entwistle Bass solo. Much clearer in sound and more powerful in performance than the "Official" one that appeared on record.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: John Entwistle solo on the Smothers Brothers show
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »
One word - bitchin!  ;D

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
That song's our encore, and during the solo I always try to look extremely bored like John does in that clip, I also check out the crowd up front, yep....they're watching the lead guitarist! Just like the director in the video was doing, its only half-way thru he figures out who's playing the solo.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
That song's our encore, and during the solo I always try to look extremely bored like John does in that clip, I also check out the crowd up front, yep....they're watching the lead guitarist! Just like the director in the video was doing, its only half-way thru he figures out who's playing the solo.

Haha guilty of that  one myself.  Fun fun fun.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »
I always do a step forward as my guitarist does his solo! They all think it's me then:)

Rocker949

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »
I've sometimes wondered if Pete Townshend ever complained that he was John Entwistle's rhythm guitarist. 

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
He did some days ago!

With John gone, we were on our own, no distractions, no excuses that we were working to help John pay his debts. We had to decide whether to go on, just the two of us, or take the opportunity to stop. Suddenly, I realised I wanted to go on.
I had always loved playing with John, but his passing would mean a new phase for me on stage, more space. John filled a lot of air with his huge sound and his extraordinary playing. Now I can be a real lead guitarist, and I’m learning fast.

Whole article:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25246074-5001026,00.html?from=public_rss

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
Ha, thats a classic comment from Townsend. What an amazing point of view to hear from the perspective of a punter.

Chris, re stepping fwd during a guit solo:  One of the first lessons I reckon I ever learned was that if I was having a bad show with my fingers I would become more animated on the stage. My playing didn't improve but most of the audience thought it did due to how much I seemed to be getting into the songs. I always had more ppl telling me how well I played when I did this. Even though I knew some nights I played bloody awful.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
Ha, thats a classic comment from Townsend. What an amazing point of view to hear from the perspective of a punter.

Chris, re stepping fwd during a guit solo:  One of the first lessons I reckon I ever learned was that if I was having a bad show with my fingers I would become more animated on the stage. My playing didn't improve but most of the audience thought it did due to how much I seemed to be getting into the songs. I always had more ppl telling me how well I played when I did this. Even though I knew some nights I played bloody awful.

I think that's a nice example of the emotional and visual components of live performance.  the audience forgives a lot when the musicians seem to be really working at what they're doing.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."