Author Topic: deciding if a project is worth it to you  (Read 1844 times)

poomwah

• View Profile
deciding if a project is worth it to you
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
What factors do you guys weigh in when deciding whether or not to undertake a project?  I've been wanting a hollowbody or semi hollowbody forever.  I recently got a great deal on a hollow body for the project, just the body, but the more I look at it, the more I realize its a LOT smaller than what I want.  I wanted a big monster body, but I've got electrics bigger than this one :[  So, should I still try to get the parts to put it together and refinish the body? or would that be a bad idea since it will be smaller than what I wanted?  So I guess what I'm asking, is how would YOU decide between holding out for what you really want, or settling and working with what you have?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: deciding if a project is worth it to you
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »
Id compare what you have with something with similar dimensions.like an epi alan woody,gretsch,guilds,etc . some of them have pretty small bodies in comparison to others..Decide if you want to go full body like the old jazz guitars or semi like  a guild starfire.  Bolt on or set neck then off  u go.
I had a martin A/E acoustic bass . with my gut etc ,it was huge and my arms went out vertical! I sold it and got a fender victor baily A/E acoustic. thinner body. Nice finish  but did not project acoustically(unplugged) as much so I sold it. Now I bang around with a dobro bass. Basically its a metal dobro guitar body. I used a mahog martin bass neck . I put a single coil Dearmond bass pup right under the  fret board. Piece and parts I had around and Im content. Its a 32" scale because the guitar body with a bass neck.
You could practice with the body you have also. What is the body ,if you dont mind me asking. Im always lookin for a project.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »
I'm not sure what the body is actually except that its a guitar body from the 60's. I got it from a forum member.  It is a full hollow, bolt on.
I like the style of it, its just so tiny :\  I want a monster body.  lets just say, my ripper and t-40 are what I would consider an average size bass for me.

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:12:04 PM »
oh yeah, and I got this too

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
your the one who is going to play it onstage so it has to satisfy you and you only. kind of like your personel mixed drink, type of clothes or your type of woman. one of those "player" things. i recently sold a beautiful LP body just because it wasn't what i really wanted.

make music, make sticky, be happy  ;) ;) ;)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:36:09 AM »
Old puppy's right.  You have to be happy and want a bass in order to keep it.  I should know as I've sold scores of basses that I just didn't play for one reason or another.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
thanks for the advice guys... looks like I have a body to sell, hehe

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:15:04 AM »
I agree - if I'm going to invest hours and hours into a bass, it needs to be something I really want to have and to play.  That's why I took on the Hi-Flyer project - I've been wanting one for a couple of years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."