Author Topic: What pro bassists actually played a Gibson EB0 back in the day?  (Read 9520 times)

VeloDog

• View Profile
Talking about the old 60's and 70's Gibsons here, not the newer Epiphones.  Just wondering which professional bassists actually chose an EB0 over an EB3 for either live performances or studio use.  I mean, the EB3 had such a broader tonal palette. 

I guess a second question might be WHY a bassist might have chosen the EB0 over the EB3.

This is just a curiosity inquiry.  There seems to have been little reason for the EB0 to exist in the professional world back then.

-Bob

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: What pro bassists actually played a Gibson EB0 back in the day?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:33:06 AM »
  The only one I can think of is Dennis Dunaway of the Alice Cooper Group. And his had a added Precision pickup.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »
Felix Pappalardi didn't always play an EB-1 and certainly had no use for a bridge pup.

Jance Garfat of the one and only unmistakeable Dr Hook played an EB-0 (it might have been a long scale one) in this - largely substance free, I'm sure - performance on German TV (amazing what you could get away with back in the day!). Good glimpses of the bass as it is "shared" between Jance and Dennis (Locorriere) at 5:17 onwards

The "unfortunately named" John Glascock with an EB-0 (with additional controls, but only one pup), here is me waving my Carmen flag again, the band no one seems to appreciate for their daring mix (this was 1973!) of world music, Prog, hard rock and glam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCGT8l0Rao&list=RDrxCGT8l0Rao#t=75
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:58:24 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
Marshall Grant used an Epiphone Newport with Johnny Cash.  Certainly qualifies here.   8)

Maybe someone should sift through our video thread and see who we have there.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »
That Dr. Hook vid kills me. What a bunch of jokers. Anyhow, here's an EB0 back in the day. This is one with the black pickup cover.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »
I believe they would probably sum that particular performance up as under one of their song titles: "I got stoned (and I missed it)".

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:18:43 AM »

Whatever bass Andy Fraser is playing in this video, it rules!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »

Whatever bass Andy Fraser is playing in this video, it rules!

EB-3.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
Carson Van Osten, original Nazz bassist, played an EB-0. Maya Ford of the Donnas played an Epi Newport. I don't know how many more famous or well known bassists played them, but I'm sure there are plenty more that were played professionally.

Why? They liked the single neck pickup sound more than the tonal options of the EB-3. It's that simple.

Let's not forget that the EB-2 and Epi Rivoli were popular back in the 60s too. Other than the godawful "baritone" switch they had a one pickup sound and it wasn't as focused as an EB-0.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

VeloDog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:43 AM »
All good info here.  Thanks.  There's more professional EB0 players than I imagined. 

I have an old '68 EB0 that I break out once in a while on small nightclub gigs when we're playing '60's tunes, but it's hard to justify doing it, tonally, because all my more modern basses sound so much better.  But that neck.  What a great feeling neck!  Most comfortable bass I've ever played.

Also, I've found that if I run the EB0 through an old Cry Baby Wah pedal I can adjust the tone for room acoustics much better than if I omit it altogether, and can add a bit of treble instantly for solos.

cmaj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »
What a great feeling neck!  Most comfortable bass I've ever played.

Also, I've found that if I run the EB0 through an old Cry Baby Wah pedal I can adjust the tone for room acoustics much better than if I omit it altogether, and can add a bit of treble instantly for solos.
I agree with you about the neck.  The tone is what it is, but I love my EBO.  Crybaby wah, you say?  Gotta give that one a whirl!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
I thought it might just be because I was so used to the neck that I thought it was so easy to play and comfortable.  But I now see there are other people out there who feel the same about the EB-O. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
I think the short scale Gibson EB-0 is one of the most ergonomically pleasing basses ever made.  Light, decent balance, thin neck.  Every time I pick mine up I think i should play it more.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
I think the short scale Gibson EB-0 is one of the most ergonomically pleasing basses ever made.  Light, decent balance, thin neck.  Every time I pick mine up I think i should play it more.

As opposed to the Epi EB-O.  I had one for one day and sent it back to MF.  The intonation was horrible (although that could have been fixed,) but the neck dive was way worse than I was expecting. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal