Author Topic: 69 EB-0 and MM amp  (Read 3804 times)

VeloDog

• View Profile
Re: 69 EB-0 and MM amp
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
Yeah, I know.  Actually there are numerous forums where the "Fender Rules" philosopy reigns supreme.  I have a couple of Fenders myself, and enjoy them, but I just like the feel and playability of the old Gibsons more.  Being open-minded is key.

Any bass that sounds good is a good bass, even the cheap ones.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
We have lots more crass...err, class...here.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
Welcome to the Outpost CMAJ and VeloDog!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

VeloDog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
Both terms are correct, Pilgrim.

Vintage basses have class; vintage Japanese basses have crass.

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »

Excerrent response.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that.  You can keep any vintage Vox bass - all crap as far as I'm concerned.  And you'll find some fans here of the Matsumoku products.  My Holy Crap bass (search around here - I've posted pics), was an Epi ET-285N, and was one of my favorite basses.  And we're mighty fond of the Greco and Orville T-Birds here, too.

We're also fond of WWII aircraft, anal sex, and he who shall not be named.  Welcome aboard!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
I like my 70's Univox 335-copy, but I can't play it at present because the electronics are too oxidized.  Gotta get in there and clean it up.  It's one of the many Matsumoku products.

I played it on this recording of Peter Gunn, and I think it sounds pretty good.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Fenders have been considered plug and play basses from almost the beginning. Whatever your preferred sound, an awful lot of players think it's relatively easy to get with a Fender and most amps. An EB-0 isn't as versatile and it doesn't work as well with some amps as others. If you like the basic tone, you can get your sound, you just may have to spend a little more time finding the right combination.

That doesn't excuse the Gibson haters out there who will bash just for the sake of bashing, but you have to admit, the EB-0 sound is never going to be considered universal.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
......... but you have to admit, the EB-0 sound is never going to be considered universal.

Therin lies (some of) the beauty of Gibson basses, I don't want my tone to be like a 7ender  ;)

And yeah, one of these days I'll get an EB, probably just for home, not the band.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:11:34 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

cmaj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
Welcome to the Outpost CMAJ and VeloDog!!!
Thanks for the welcome!  I didn't realize that was my first post.  I've been registered here for quite a while and have lurked even longer.  Figured I had responded to some thread before  but I guess not.  ???

I usually just look in on the Gibson section, as their basses are interesting to me, especially T-Birds.  If money wasn't so tight in my household these days I would have plucked a Greco T-Bird off ebay by now.  A real Gibby is out of the question right now, especially since I'm not gigging as a bass player these days.  Been playing guitar and bass a good long time.  In fact, my first guitar hero was somebody who needs no further mention here...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I didn't realize that was my first post.  I've been registered here for quite a while and have lurked even longer.  Figured I had responded to some thread before  but I guess not.  ???

I usually just look in on the Gibson section, as their basses are interesting to me, especially T-Birds.  If money wasn't so tight in my household these days I would have plucked a Greco T-Bird off ebay by now.  A real Gibby is out of the question right now, especially since I'm not gigging as a bass player these days.  Been playing guitar and bass a good long time.  In fact, my first guitar hero was somebody who needs no further mention here...

Oh no! Not "that" guy!

BTW Welcome here  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »

In fact, my first guitar hero was somebody who needs no further mention here...
'

It's allright, we all had our Kane Roberts crush at one point in life..

Ass you can see, any log - shortscale or not- will fit in here.

I'm quite new in here as well, but have allready come out of the Cinderella closet!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »
It's easy to deride a particular bass if it's not one's cup o' tea.  Different strokes!  I never let one's man opinion bother me.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
Sure an EB0 can sound good through a solid state practice amp but that's because the amp filters out half the frequencies coming from the bass because it can't handle them. I love the mudbucker for what it gives you when it's overdriving tubes. An all tube head turned up to 11 is great but certain hybrid amps with lots of gain can get you close to that sound and it doesn't have to be too loud if you can use a master volume judiciously. The problem is finding a band that's willing to work with that sound.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
It is all about bass/amp combinations for sure.  I've happened upon a good one for my purposes and the band didn't protest, they liked it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!