Author Topic: 69 EB-0 and MM amp  (Read 3805 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
69 EB-0 and MM amp
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
OK, on a lark, I took my beat up 69 EB-0 to practice on Monday.  I bought a couple years ago cheap because some douchebag carved his initials in a small square ( 3/8" x 3/8") on the back.  I was gonna rehab it, but have been too busy to mess with it.

So I plug it into the MusicMan 130 and it kicks butt with ancient rounds on it!  It was so nice and not muddy or boomy at all.  I did turn the treble and mid dials up and that helped it out.  That pup and tube amp combo really worked!  Needless to say, it sounded good and they are always a joy to play.  Love that neck.  As I'm aging, I'm finding it harder to play my 34" basses for extended gigs.  So, it was fun to see how this would go and it was a pleasant surprise!

I'm taking the Triumph next week.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 69 EB-0 and MM amp
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
 Thats cool Bill! EB0s get a bad rap. I'm digging my newly acquired '68 EB0  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:50:18 AM »
Nothing like flying around on a short scale. If you liked the EBO you should get an EB3 too and ride that mini bucker to funky town.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »
I played a friend's EB2 about a year ago...was not muddy at all...through a solid state newer Fender Bassman.

I think amplification is much better today than 30-40 years ago...

Not better, maybe, but is is easier to squeeze highs and mids out of a modern amp with tweeters etc. that was designed for slap etc., than it was in the old days.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:53:54 PM by patman »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
The thing about EB0s (and anything with a mudbucker, non choked) is that they tend to work best with solid state front ends (like on that hybrid MM).  It's something to do with the massive 30K output and/or sine-like fundamental of the damn things that gives vintage tube based front ends a really hard time.  I still like that sound (mud + tube pre) sometimes but it is what it is.  One of the coolest bass sounds I ever got (totally byu accident) was my EB3 (on position 1, so basically an EB0) straight in to a small Peavey solidstate practice amp (either an 8 or 10" speaker, forget exactly) that is usually my repair bench test amp.  It's an extreme example of the rule of opposites at work.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:02:19 AM »
Gonna put some new rounds on it before next practice.  Should be interesting!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
I totally concur on all your comments. It has a 'tone' unto itself. Yes tone. I have a '69 EBO as well (still has quite it's reddish (aged...like a 20 yr. old Pomerol) wine color in 9+ condition. I don't know if I can describe it as 'not mud' but a joy to play. My SG Faded Mahogany and SG Supreme cover the other spectrum. I also agree with modern amps even my Hofners have something that was not apparant on older amps. However I do not like tweeters so usually turn off, disconnect or as in my newer GK they don't even have 'em.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
Good to see the positive EB-O comments. Just don't try doing this anywhere. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
I think the EB0 finds the solid state preamp in my Music Man amp and power tubes very agreeable for sure.  It's going to the next gig

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
I clearly have  been a fender guy way too long.  I have never heard an EBO that i  actually liked the sound of including my 64.  my 2  EB3's  with the bridge pup can get some useful tones   and the  3L is clearly the best of the lot.  I assume my Eb2 if i used a pick could do the british invasion sound fairly well.  That being said they stay in their cases other than an occasion WTF night out.   I like a loud, clear and clean but full sound,  preferably tube driven,  99.5 % fingers only.  Ampegs or fenders BEFORE any breakup.....As much as Scott and the rest have made me try and like natural amp distortion,  it sounds great for others but not me.   As Scott would say,  driving the snot out of an amp doesn't do it for my sound.   No EB's fit that sound for me,   J basses can be too thin though if wired in series they get closer.   The perfect mass produced bass for me would be a p bass with JPJ (pickups,  not the person) or PPJ  and i have to admit the 63 thunderbuckers sound really good.     My active boutique basses usually get me there as I can pretty much dial out the j bass thinness  though many are PJ.  Some boutique pickups also can get me close in the right bass.  
       I guess I am a bass snob overall  but what the heck,   thats what i like.....  and its the sound in my head....  It's certainly costs a lot to get me there.....

Is admitting the first of the 12 steps????? ???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
I had an EB-0 briefly.  I took it to a band audition.  It was a small room, and I think I had my Crate amp with me.  In a tight space, that bass had the most incredible thump.  It was chest-beating good.  Out in an open space, that's where it became an art to get a good sound from the bass.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

cmaj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
The thing about EB0s (and anything with a mudbucker, non choked) is that they tend to work best with solid state front ends (like on that hybrid MM).  It's something to do with the massive 30K output and/or sine-like fundamental of the damn things that gives vintage tube based front ends a really hard time.  I still like that sound (mud + tube pre) sometimes but it is what it is.  One of the coolest bass sounds I ever got (totally byu accident) was my EB3 (on position 1, so basically an EB0) straight in to a small Peavey solidstate practice amp (either an 8 or 10" speaker, forget exactly) that is usually my repair bench test amp.  It's an extreme example of the rule of opposites at work.
I had the same experience plugging my EBO into a little ss Crate guitar amp with an 8" speaker.  An inspiring practice rig--and I wouldn't hesitate to record with it if that was the sound I was looking for.  I love the way that bass feels in my hands and I love the feeling it puts into my playing.  Doesn't matter to me how many other players don't like 'em.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 03:51:40 AM »
The Mudbucker loaded in my PC (vol only - no tone controls) and ran through either the Hiwatt/Marshall cab (loaded with just the two 75w "Governor" speakers) or the MAG300 4x10 sounds just fine and tolerates giving them full-throttle...
Admittedly, the Hiwatt is sick at present, so not running...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

VeloDog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
Got an old '68 EB0 myself.  Had it for 39 years now.  If ever there was a candidate for playing bass with a pick, this is it.  MUCH more clarity than using fingers.  And, I agree with DrBassman... subjectively it has the best feeling/playing neck of any bass I've ever owned. 

Nice to see the absence of haters as well.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »
Got an old '68 EB0 myself.  Had it for 39 years now.  If ever there was a candidate for playing bass with a pick, this is it.  MUCH more clarity than using fingers.  And, I agree with DrBassman... subjectively it has the best feeling/playing neck of any bass I've ever owned. 

Nice to see the absence of haters as well.

I could take you to a place, though, somewhere on this planet where there would be bashing galore.  And it doesn't just involve bashing the lowly EB-O.  It also involves habitually bashing some artists I like which aren't considered good enough, cool enough, in the right genre, technically proficient enough, etc. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal