Author Topic: Adding (water based) fuel to the nitro vs poly debate  (Read 1181 times)

Bass VI

• View Profile
Adding (water based) fuel to the nitro vs poly debate
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:56:43 PM »
Hello all,
Well I'm into yet another project, but I thought I would share a finishing procees (using water-based Minway POLYcrylic clear) I'm trying out, though the idea is certainly not my own. Check out this shortcut to the ReRanch discussion board and the I'll add my two cents......

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=21213&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

First comment; It really dosn't matter if you brush it, spray it or use the areosal cans, I tried all three. Spraying is obviously fast, but since it's being used as a filler/sealer and will be block sanded, brushing works fine and clean up is really easy.
Second; as stated in the RR forum, it runs, be prepared to......block sand.
Third; It really fills and seals well, I used it on a swamp ash body and got a glass smooth base for my NITRO color coats.

Anyway the first post in the link has most of the info you need, I wanted to let everyone here know about it and give a "hands on" report. I've exclusively used the tried and true lacquer sealer, oil-based grain filler and lacquer top coats for years and if I'm doing a Gibson finish on Mahogany I'll continue to do so ( for tradition sake if nothing else ) but for a Fender type finish, I think I may be a convert.

Questions? Comments?

I'll post some pics over the weekend, I should add the project is a Phil Lynott "tribute" bass......

Cheers,

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Adding (water based) fuel to the nitro vs poly debate
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
Nitro was a cheap mass production furniture finish adopted by guitar makers. It's good for traditional finish restorations or recreations and not much else. Good for you for not being afraid to branch out.

I like modern finishes.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:10:51 PM »
Well Dave, I'm still using nitro for the top-coats, tradition is sometimes a good thing ( although in the tradition of a '70s' Precision, the tradition should be poly  :mrgreen:)

Not exactly branching out, just branching over!

Scott

That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  The only thing I hate doing when finishing is filling!!!!!  I use a lot of mahogany and it's drudgery for sure.  After I have some time to read this better, I'll chime in.

I do like nitro's ability to meld into itself with each subsequent coat.  It blends so nicely and repairs easily too IMO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  The only thing I hate doing when finishing is filling!!!!!  I use a lot of mahogany and it's drudgery for sure.  After I have some time to read this better, I'll chime in.

I do like nitro's ability to meld into itself with each subsequent coat.  It blends so nicely and repairs easily too IMO.

You are quite welcome good Dr.

I agree, nitros' ability to melt in is its' greatest advantage as a top-coat. The reverse being true of the Polycrylic being its' advantage as a sealer filler. I use a lot of mahogany also ( how can you do a Gibby without it? unless it's an RD ) however I don't think this stuff will work out as well on a finish like Heritage cherry. I think someone posted a reply at RR and said to the effect it won't bring out the grain as much, that would be my thought also, as it pretty much dries crystal clear. However if used under an opaque finish I think it would work as well on mahogany as it does on ash. The Big, big plus as I see it is that it looks like I won't have to use very much paint at all for my color-coats. Here are a few picks, the shot of the back is one very thin coat and the coverage was excellent.

Filled and sealed.....

Another view....

A little color...

color..

And not to hijack my own thread but, here's my Explorer project ( trad grain filler, nitro, etc, ) I'm still not done with it!!!!!!.

I love the way it looks, but I hate grain-filling!

Cheers,

Scott
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you