Author Topic: whadd du ya thimpk players?  (Read 3037 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
whadd du ya thimpk players?
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
first off to sell or to trade or to build this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

here are the picture thoughts of the build. seems i can visualize better when posting all over my screen.

thoughts on the pups 1 or 2

if one pup (the mudsmasher NOS vintage early 70's) then i will use the EBO cover shown, the brass one is going with the LP Junior build and is getting powder coated Black.

thoughts on the bridges bah-dass or post dohicky thingy which kind of blends with the EB lines rather well (still gonna stay with 32" scale though), spacing on the post dohicky is 2 1/8"

thinking oil finish or clear on this one to show off the Lacewood and Mahogany with the Maple neck. might burst the neck black with yellow or clear center and clear coat the body?

speak up players please!!! an inquiring mind would like to make a decision, sell, trade, build or how to build with what stuff?

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/SG%20Build%20or%20Trade/

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: whadd du ya thimpk players?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »
Id do the 2 pc thingy and natural rub finish,naturally & 1 pup by the neck.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »
O, you asked!  I'd also do the one mudbucker by the neck and a natural oil finish on the body.  I'd also do a birdseye maple fretboard and do the neck with tung oil or the like.  I love a contrasting neck and body.  BAdass bridge would look cool on this one IMHO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
birdseye maple board huh, i like that idea and have been growing fond of shadowcastaz posty thingy suggestion for the bridge
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »
Birds eye or a heavy tiger stripe maple board. Im just drawn to the look of the 2 pc. gibby style bridges pluss they seem to be   more user friendly once they are placed properly.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »
still undecided about the board BUT i have decided to use this piece of veneer on the head instead of on the LP Junior.

how about an Ebony board just to contrast the body and headplate? this veneer is to die for!

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/SG%20Build%20or%20Trade/?action=view&current=100_2349.jpg

the two piece bridge is going on = thats a gimme!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
 Any way you slice it that is going to be a cool bass! Me I'd put the mudbucker in the sweet spot and put a minibucker near the bridge, controls V/T- V/T with a toggle. Yeah stay with the two piece bridge............................ but a BA would be so easy, so wrong, I love badasses my self. A flamed maple board would look wicked.  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
i'll call Randy either tomorrow or next week and see what he has in Maple and what kind of deal he can shoot me.

which brings up  another question: what is the best pup to go with a mudbucker? i have always thought that a minibucker was a little bony sounding.

veneer is cheap so that is not a big deal if i go with birdseye. guess i can always ask Randy if he has a plate that matches the board!

this is the guy i deal with on boards = his sale page usually has one or two good deals on it.

http://www.allenguitar.com/index.htm

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 04:21:17 AM »
 How about a Dimarzio model G by the bridge ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
never thought of a G there. i have been wanting to make mud for a long time. thats the reason i sold the SGRI. had i known then what i know now i would have kept it and changed the pup.

i did get a call from Chip last night and he is supposed to be sending pics of some birdseye. he has some i know i want but the bucks are too much for me. he said about 5-6 eyes per square inch!!! he also said he has some lower grade that will still knock my socks off. the flamed veneer for the head might just gather dust!!! he also runs the sawmill in town as well as the luthery shop and is expanding to a music store.

link:  http://www.vintageguitarman.com/

he built that "Notacaster" on the left side of the screen, the one with the big "B" for a head. thats his and he did it out of an old butcher block. enlarge it and you will see the graining in it. the head stands for "Brauer" his last name and i know he has some 5 layer pickguard material like on the old Gibby's laying around.  he is the guy that is doing the Matt bass i started in the old p_t for the now 18 year old. his phone number is onsite at the bottom and if you can get him to answer he will BS guitars all night long.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
GOT what does a "G" sound like compared to a 70's Bass Humbucker?