Author Topic: making a "Mike Mutt" your opinion is needed!!!!  (Read 7488 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: making a "Mike Mutt" your opinion is needed!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
Fine with me.  This is a larger undertaking than one would think, lots of coordinating and communicating required.  Can you pull this off without a home front?  Hope it works for you.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 05:20:34 PM »
this is a little off topic but it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Dr B wrote, "I'm not quite mentally ready to do stuff for other folks.  Right now, my policy is if I "f" something up, I only piss myself off in the process!!"

imo, there's nothing wrong with being modest (in fact, it's an endearing quality), but your skills at restoring/refurbishing/rebuilding are apparent to everyone here or anyone who has seen your work.  I understand you do this as a hobby and for your personal satisfaction but you've acheived results that most of us can only dream of.  you shouldn't sell yourself short!  if you are considering taking on outside work at some point in the future, I think it would be a successful  venture.

ok, back to Mike's Mutt....

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
this is a little off topic but it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Dr B wrote, "I'm not quite mentally ready to do stuff for other folks.  Right now, my policy is if I "f" something up, I only piss myself off in the process!!"

imo, there's nothing wrong with being modest (in fact, it's an endearing quality), but your skills at restoring/refurbishing/rebuilding are apparent to everyone here or anyone who has seen your work.  I understand you do this as a hobby and for your personal satisfaction but you've acheived results that most of us can only dream of.  you shouldn't sell yourself short!  if you are considering taking on outside work at some point in the future, I think it would be a successful  venture.

ok, back to Mike's Mutt....

Wow, thanks for the compliments.  I do have very high expectations of myself and that holds me back for sure.  While I am generally happy with my results, I'm slow, still learning many things, I make more mistakes than I'd like (although making them and correcting them is a good learning experience) and my full time job gets in the way of doing things an any kind of a schedule.  All of that keeps me from doing work for others.  I do plan to go full bore with restoring/building in a couple years when I retire!  I can't wait!!!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 07:48:53 AM »
your reasons for keeping it in-house for the time being are completely understandable, just wanted to give you an outside perspective.   regarding mistakes, I find they are among the best teachers I've ever had! ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
your reasons for keeping it in-house for the time being are completely understandable, just wanted to give you an outside perspective.   regarding mistakes, I find they are among the best teachers I've ever had! ;D

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Yep, there's nothing like mistakes for an education, as long as you can fix them!!!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
And, if you are considering expanding this to work for others, having this mutt under your belt is one hell of a credential.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
finding the pups is gonna be the trick as well as deciphering the wiring loom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one Dimarzio Model G neck spot (had an offer of a donation on this one already)

one Lane Poor Musicman middle spot

one Bartolini ZBS-440 bridge pup

Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

knowledge to put these three together = still waiting on a reply from Mike and he is touring in Europe now.

And, if you are considering expanding this to work for others, having this mutt under your belt is one hell of a credential.

right on Gman!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:01:01 AM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »
welcome Matt, haven't seen you b 4 but that would be a life saver if this project is to kick off as that would be one of the the hardest parts to find save a Dan Armstrong bass pup. Kent is still making them but how close to his fathers specs they are i don't know. there might be suitable replacements for the D/A pup like maybe a TB Plus or one of Kent's pups that are sold through WD Music. maybe one of Fralins new pups might work also. there are three pups to get.

one of your DM pups would be enough. i sent a message to Uwe, Dave and Doc Bill. basically i was told if it was a voluntary basis then it could get an okay to go providing some one like Barkless talks to Mike first before this goes any further and see's what he thinks. it would be ideal to to an make a surprize BUT it would be darn near impossible without his knowledge of the original mutt.

Thanks, man. I've been here since the beginning, but I'm more of a lurker than anything. The guys around here all know more than I do, so I'm usually reluctant to post anything.  :)
The Model G is a done deal. Just let me know when and where.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
Mutt list: Any suggestions to modify this list please drop a reply in here!

One body mahogany early Gibby bass or repopped guitar body? Maybe a one or two piece Mahogany blank and or a template?

One neck mahogany Gibby short bass small neck 61 type 30.5" scale. I have  found some nice old Mahogany = enough for a laminated neck or through neck build. Might I suggest if we want to do a neck through Mutt or there is enough here to laminate it with Maple for a really strong but lightweight neck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270272758567&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

One bone nut pledged Ramone57 one bone nut

One fret board rosewood 30.5 “ scale

One neck pup = Dimarzio Model G pledged one pup Dimarzio Model G Creme Mattk

On Lane Poor mid pup ?  This is a Lane Poor musicman pup. I originally thought it was a Dan Armstrong = both are out of production.

One Bartolini bridge pup, specs unknown at this time. Pre-amped yes, ZBS-440 pickup (made by Bartolini - discontinued now, I think) This one might be a possiblity and it has one bid at 9.95 now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260284546127&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

One Schaller bridge chrome  Again might I suggest as this one is listed less than half price right now with the spacer :

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHALLER-4-STRING-BASS-BRIDGE-GERMANY-ROLLER-SADDLES_W0QQitemZ170259335684QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One set tuners = Kluson 538 are hard to find. Grover clover leaf i have a set i can donate = are Schallers better? Maybe able to sub some lighter Schaller closed gear pledged Grover open gear Re-issue Gibson SG tuners Old Puppy

Fret wire = type 6150 or 6105

Hard wire = cloth covered type?

Control cover = used or new. Gibby makes replacements, one is listed on the bay now query "Gibson cover"

Knobs = old Gibby hat types?

Pots = unknown what values to use = need suggestions

One Pick Guard early eb3 type = these can be repopped

One set of strings = unknown what type Mike uses

Mike had his strap screwed onto the Mutt. Guess there is no need for strap locks.

I still haven't heard from Mike or anyone who has been in touch with him.

I am trying to figure out if he had an OPB-3 pre-amp on the Mutt? Anyone know? The Watt interview on gibsonbass.com gave me a lot of clues on the Mutt bass.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:47:02 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:39 PM »
I got yer bone nut right here.   ;D  it won't be going anywhere til you give the word, old puppy.

sniper

• View Profile
best of intentions but "no"
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »
looks like the "make a mutt" idea has died.  :sad:

Mike is making a redo of his mutt yipee.............:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1062.45

i will consider this "make a mutt" a dead issue on my part. thanks for the pledges. nothing has changed hands so nothing is lost.

you guys rock and thanks for all the good feelings towards Mike.

Dave, Doc or Uwe lock this thread please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just an after thought I wonder if Mike realizes how many friends he has out here in playerland?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:22:15 AM by old puppy »