Author Topic: the long reach  (Read 1255 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
the long reach
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
i was wondering if any one could tell me how long their bass is from the nut to the end of the body. i recently got a nice fitted case to fit my build but i have to shorten the compartment inside to fit the neck. then i got to wondering how long some of the more popular basses are from the nut edge to the end of the guitar say like:

1) a short scale Gibson

2) a 34" scale Fender

3) a Thunderbird

the idea is to prevent a long trip to low end in this LP Junior build.

enclosed is a link to the photos of the neck and body in the case. the password for a guest is "bassplayer" without the quotation marks if it calls for a password.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/cathousemouse/LP%20Junior/

any information would be appreciated. thanks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:01:40 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: the long reach
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:56 PM »
Nice looking project!

If I understand your question correctly, here are some measurements,

(1) Short scale Gibson ( Kalamazoo KB & Epi Newport ) both 33 3/4"

(2) 34' Scale Fender ( '74 Precision ) 36 1/2"

(3) Thunderbird 37 1/4" to center, approx. 39" to the bass side body wing

Hope that helps, and once again great looking project.

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »
thanks, that helps a lot. i was trying to address a few scenarios:

1) what kind of case i should be looking for ie: regular sg case, fitted bass case or a rectangular bass case

2) what scale am i going to be able to use (looking to use a 32" scale) which will dictate what length i can use on the guitar and tell me how good my access to the upper registry will be and how deep i can set the neck relative to overall length

3) overall length to fit inside the case

and

4) trying to address neck diving before it happens! less neck = less leverage = less neck dive but it has to be long enough to get good note acquisition, definition and sustain

a few of us have got some of those necks off of greatdealz on e-bay. i was also wondering about reducing the head size to that of earlier Gibby basses which would let me get close to 41" in overall length on my SG/Dark Star build (due to be sent to the builder about spring when the LP Junior gets back)

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »
I love the SG body w/ lacewood top . Did you have to stabilize it at all? I remember it being soft the last time I worked on  some.

i would go for a long scale fitted case. The 32" scale should be no prob to fit .
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »
i got that from a gent in Mass for the same price as a Warmoth maho body shipping included with this body. i can shoot you his email addy if you wish. i rec'd it as you see it.

edit:  back from baby setting the grandson and associated chores.

to answer your question, i can't as i didn't build the body. when i was looking at it i did find out that lace wood is supposed to have about the same tone characteristics as alder. i know alder is fairly easy to work with and i thought it looked cool. i am a fan of natural and clear finishes over nice wood working.

the LPJ is getting a cherry tint with clear coat on the body and laminated maho/maple neck. it might get a flamed maple cap and maple veneer on the head stock. i have a matched set of maple pieces nice enough to get a nut over, but didn't have the heart to put it on that LP body i sold Gary. the shallow "V" matching on the top of that is just too good to mess with. i can't wait to see what he does with it!

the SG is just getting clear on both the maple neck and body. i told the builder i am not leaning either way as far as nitro or poly. i told him he could do it with clarified cow plop as long as it looked good and didn't smell too bad. i want something i can sweat on, spill a little beer on and wipe off, probably poly.

i know this is taking a long time, but i started with no money and no way to wood work as i live in an apartment and on a fixed disability income. then i bought a Epi EBO and parted it out. been selling and buying stuff for over a year now to get this done and have ended up with almost enough nice parts for two builds even after donating the parts for the first build to a friend for her son. it has kept me busy and people like in here and in the "old place" that self disintegrated have been inspirational.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:48:34 PM by old puppy »