Author Topic: Flea  (Read 3595 times)

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
Re: Flea
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
For kids like me who were starting to understand and enjoy cool not-for-kiddies music when Give It Away started playing worldwide, Flea has always been kind of a legend. Not particulary for his musical skill or talent, but because he was the bass player with an atittude that made kids pay atenttion to the bass as much as the guitar and guitar players.

Although his bass playing wasnt all that much inovative for the older audience, it was new for us kids who didnt know much about music history other than the last week MTV top ten list. So we were listening to Guns and Roses, Extreme, Skid Row and all the other rock bands who were playing everywhere at the time and they all had bass players that were just there to suport their guitar players solo, and then RHCP came and all we could see was this weird guy monkeying around and making weird noises with his bass. And not only that, those weird noises were actually a big part of the music, so much so that the cool kids at school that could play guitar just couldnt play the chords on their six strings and sing the words because it simply sucked without the bass sound.

So for us kids, to really know how to play the bass meant to be able to play like Flea, otherwise you are just another kid who plays bass because nobody else wanted to.

Anyway, my point is that even if your playing style is not like Flea, but you can play a RHCP tune just like he does, than a lot of people will almost instantly consider you to be a great bass player.

Edit: I dont know if what I said has anything to do with your dilema, but to try to clarify my pont a little more: one of my customers is a great bass player and makes a living out of it. He plays for bands that do all sorts of events like graduations, weddings and even live band karaoke. He told me that when he was starting to audition for gigs a couple of years ago, everytime people asked if he could play RHCP. At the time he couldnt (he was never much of a fan), and so couldnt pass the test. So after a while he decided to learn to play two RHCP songs, and never had a problem getting a gig since. Even if there isnt a RHCP song on the set list, if he can play RHCP, for them it means he can play anything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:56:19 PM by Daniel_J »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »
I think he's funny.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 04:47:44 AM »
And melodic. I don't care about his slapping style (or anybody's slapping style, that is playing percussion to me and I don't have favorite bongo players either), but I like his choice of notes when he plays a ballad. Under the bridge has a beautiful bass line throughout.

He's certainly an icon of modern bass playing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:06 AM »
I don't listen to a lot of RHCP, however, most of the stuff I've heard that I've liked (there's 3 or 4 songs) has had some great bass hooks.
What I like about the band is that on the surface, they don't appear to take themselves too seriously.
I've also watched a few instructional videos done by Flea and he appears to be a genuine, somewhat well-spoken dude.
I don't slap, but I can listen to a song or two if it's done well...in my opinion, Flea does it well and with great energy.

Ack
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:36 AM »
I think this would be a better question for Talk Bass if you are looking for an argument, as most people here are somewhat objective.

I don't think many here, myself included, can state he is not a very good bass player in many styles (slap & finger style / melodic). He also has written some great bass lines that are quite nice.

The music is a matter of taste as is his character "Donny"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5R9mhYO3U&feature=related

He seems like a nice fellow.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »
I think the live experience probably drew a lot of fans to those punk-funk bands like RHCP, Fishbone, Defunkt, Mr. Bungle...  They were completely over the top with a really animated stage presence, mohawks, brass sections (in some cases), stage diving...  Seeing that stuff as a kid is what turned me onto the older groups too - Funkadelic, Ohio Players, Cymande...  I always love a good rhythm section, and plenty to be had there.

Speaking of, Mothers Milk had some great bass moments on it too.  If Tower of Power took crack, it might sound like....    :)

Chaser001

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
For kids like me who were starting to understand and enjoy cool not-for-kiddies music when Give It Away started playing worldwide, Flea has always been kind of a legend. Not particulary for his musical skill or talent, but because he was the bass player with an atittude that made kids pay atenttion to the bass as much as the guitar and guitar players.

Although his bass playing wasnt all that much inovative for the older audience, it was new for us kids who didnt know much about music history other than the last week MTV top ten list. So we were listening to Guns and Roses, Extreme, Skid Row and all the other rock bands who were playing everywhere at the time and they all had bass players that were just there to suport their guitar players solo, and then RHCP came and all we could see was this weird guy monkeying around and making weird noises with his bass. And not only that, those weird noises were actually a big part of the music, so much so that the cool kids at school that could play guitar just couldnt play the chords on their six strings and sing the words because it simply sucked without the bass sound.

So for us kids, to really know how to play the bass meant to be able to play like Flea, otherwise you are just another kid who plays bass because nobody else wanted to.

Anyway, my point is that even if your playing style is not like Flea, but you can play a RHCP tune just like he does, than a lot of people will almost instantly consider you to be a great bass player.

Edit: I dont know if what I said has anything to do with your dilema, but to try to clarify my pont a little more: one of my customers is a great bass player and makes a living out of it. He plays for bands that do all sorts of events like graduations, weddings and even live band karaoke. He told me that when he was starting to audition for gigs a couple of years ago, everytime people asked if he could play RHCP. At the time he couldnt (he was never much of a fan), and so couldnt pass the test. So after a while he decided to learn to play two RHCP songs, and never had a problem getting a gig since. Even if there isnt a RHCP song on the set list, if he can play RHCP, for them it means he can play anything.

Daniel, you have summed up the situation very well.  Certainly, better than I could have done myself.  Muito obrigado.  However, many of these comments have been helpful.   When I first started looking into this, I honestly didn't realize how good Flea was.  Although it isn't my favorite genre, I have to agree with Uwe that Flea is a modern bass icon.  Barklessdog, I've found an objective analysis here, and won't need to look elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:38:01 PM by Chaser001 »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:09 AM »
I was a huge Flea fan in the late 80s/early 90s - when Mother's Milk came out. Those first 4 records are a blast! The first time I saw/heard them was on the Arsenio Hall show. They did Higher Ground and I was blown away. Here was a guy who had perfected what I had been trying to do for years - insert a funk/slap style into a rock band. I got into that style mostly by way of some of the jazz/fusion I was into. Stanley Clarke, Jeff beck's "Wired", Jean Luc Ponty, etc.... There was also the Brothers Johnson and Bootsy influence. I slapped like crazy for a number of years, but by about '98, had abandoned it completely. Got totally played out. Slapping had become the bass equivalent of 2 handed tapping/sweep picking on guitar. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ I HAVE started to re-visit it a bit in the past year, jamming with a local funk/disco cover band from time to time. It has it's place, but SLAP DOES NOT EQUAL FUNK!  ;D

Back to Flea...... He is a very dedicated and knowledgeable musician. He was an ace trumpet player in high school. He always seems to be pushing himself and exploring new territory, even going to pick style for some stuff. Besides the slap, he's a great fingerstyle player, and can be exceptionally melodic. I have nothing bad to say about his playing, although I pretty much lost interest in RHCP after "Blood Sugar...."

Chaser001

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
I was a huge Flea fan in the late 80s/early 90s - when Mother's Milk came out. Those first 4 records are a blast! The first time I saw/heard them was on the Arsenio Hall show. They did Higher Ground and I was blown away. Here was a guy who had perfected what I had been trying to do for years - insert a funk/slap style into a rock band. I got into that style mostly by way of some of the jazz/fusion I was into. Stanley Clarke, Jeff beck's "Wired", Jean Luc Ponty, etc.... There was also the Brothers Johnson and Bootsy influence. I slapped like crazy for a number of years, but by about '98, had abandoned it completely. Got totally played out. Slapping had become the bass equivalent of 2 handed tapping/sweep picking on guitar. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ I HAVE started to re-visit it a bit in the past year, jamming with a local funk/disco cover band from time to time. It has it's place, but SLAP DOES NOT EQUAL FUNK!  ;D

Back to Flea...... He is a very dedicated and knowledgeable musician. He was an ace trumpet player in high school. He always seems to be pushing himself and exploring new territory, even going to pick style for some stuff. Besides the slap, he's a great fingerstyle player, and can be exceptionally melodic. I have nothing bad to say about his playing, although I pretty much lost interest in RHCP after "Blood Sugar...."

If you or anyone else can name the songs Flea used a pick on, or can move me in the direction where I can find out myself, that would be useful to me. 

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
You could argue the point that Flea's playing is extremely dirivative and that if you're turned on by that style, you should go to the source. For example, the Brothers Johnson, Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham and a whole host of others pioneered the style that Flea seems to have tapped into. That said, he's still a great player and really pulls it all together in crafting basslines that pay hommage to past masters. So I really like his playing ...... for much the same reason as I like Stevie Ray Vaughn.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
Flea was in Back To The Future...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
Flea's style seems to have a lot more punk/hardcore influence than has been mentioned here. His playing is as much about attitude as it is about musicianship. I also loved the early albums up through "Blood Sugar Sex Magic." But I also love "Californication" - that was kind of like a comeback for them, with John Frusciante (sp?) back in the fold, and to me it sounds like long-lost friends who have found each other again.

Hornisse

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
I always liked the cover of their The Abbey Road EP. 8)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
Flea was in Back To The Future...

His mom is a theatrical agent.  What surprised me about RHCP is the fact that I saw drummer Chad Smith back in my bar circuit days.  He was the hot drummer  for the big band in the Michigan club circuit, Toby Redd.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:03 AM »
A quick Google search found this at an Ultimate Guitar forum:

"Flea occasionally uses a pick; songs where he's used a pick have included Don't Forget Me, Parrallel Universe, Fortune Faded and part of Snow (Hey Oh)."

I stopped following RHCP by the time any of this stuff came out, so I can't confirm. I DO remember him on the cover of Bass Player mag with a headline reading "He plays with a pick!" among other things...