Author Topic: Upright Basses  (Read 4900 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Upright Basses
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
These just popped up on Craigslist,  http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/1562316277.html  .
I wonder if they are the origional tooling for upright basses from the old Epiphone factory. When Gibson bought Epiphone in about 1956, they were after the upright bass tooling. They were unaware that they had purchased the guitar part of the company also.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Interesting. Might be worth it to a builder.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »
What I don't get about uprights is the notation. You start with bass clef, at about high D (like 7th "fret" on the G string) they start writing in tenor clef, and thumb positions are usually in treble clef. I just can't get used to it.

A bass guitar has the same number of notes and when you go up the neck and want to avoid too many ledger lines, you write "8va" and write an octave below the fretted note. Simple and effective. Why do classical players use 3 clefs for a 4 string instrument? I just don't get it.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
Think it's a vestige from the past.  The only place I've encountered it is in classical music.

I don't mind reading treble clef...I read it as poorly or as well as I read bass clef...'
Was handed a sight reading piece back in school at boards a billion years ago that was in tenor clef....I think the original was a trombone part maybe.  Of course I had no idea what to do with it.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 03:35:49 PM »
Hurdy Gurdy Man LIVE in L.A. with an extra verse added that was written by George Harrison & it's got upright bass:

And now the original, complete with sitar (or is it just a tamboura?) & Bonzo on drums & Page on guitar...& JPJ on Bass? maybe

Classic!!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
A buddy of mine has an Ampeg Baby Bass from the '60's that he lets me borrow on occasion. Next time I use it I'll snap some pics of it with the Portaflex

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
Here's a question I can't find an answer to. Why do German bows have lapping and thumb pads? They are needed only if you hold the bow like a French bow. My guess is that all bow sticks were created equal and then the frog and button are added, determining if this will be a German or French. So the lapping and thumb pad were there before the bow was German style. But that is just a guess.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »
Picture of the '64 Baby Bass all set up now and ready to gig. I added a custom walnut bridge that is shorter than the original aluminum one so that I could lower the neck and adjust it properly. I also added a Schaller "Kontrabass"  pickup which sounds amazing. I run that into channel 1, and it has lot's of vintage old school thump that can actually be heard and is usable. Switching between the P-bass and the Baby Bass is no problem now. I left the stock diaphram pickup in, and ran that to channel 2 of the Portaflex in the event I decide to do some bowing as an effect.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
love that bass.  one of my few GAS items left.  One of these days.  I have a few electric upright basses now but really want one of these
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »
Picture of the '64 Baby Bass all set up now and ready to gig. I added a custom walnut bridge that is shorter than the original aluminum one so that I could lower the neck and adjust it properly. I also added a Schaller "Kontrabass"  pickup which sounds amazing. I run that into channel 1, and it has lot's of vintage old school thump that can actually be heard and is usable. Switching between the P-bass and the Baby Bass is no problem now. I left the stock diaphram pickup in, and ran that to channel 2 of the Portaflex in the event I decide to do some bowing as an effect.

All Right!  8)