Author Topic: Upright Basses  (Read 4901 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Upright Basses
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
Figured since there ain't an upright bass category on this forum we could use a good thread about 'em.

I've been diggin' this band in Surf City called Human Lab. They don't play Surf Music.
They sound more like a 60s band...the Youngbloods. They ARE youngbloods too!!
The leader, Michael Medlin, sounds like Jesse Colin Young & his girl, Miriam, & her sis Xiona Folk from Montana add beautiful vocal harmonies & percussion.
Billy Bass left the band so Marco the drummer switched to upright bass & Miriam plays it on one song while Marco plays accordion.
They're both gettin' real good for young beginners!!
Luke is gettin' damn good on his Tele with a Strat neck tooo
I'm gonna join 'em on drums for awhile. I love them & their songs & music!!!

www.myspace.com/humanlab

Ain't they good? They're my fav band in Orange County.

I still want a full length upright someday. It'd be SO cool to have an instrument the same height as me--6'5"!

I reckon the Bruce Johnson Ampeg Scroll will satisfy my desire for an upright sound tho, once I get the one I ordered 2 years ago in my hot little hands!!
It'll be fretless & have 2 pickups--one for an upright sound & one for a Boz Burrell BAD CO. sound!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:31:07 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Upright Basses
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
ALL MY BASSES ARE "UPRIGHT"......................when they're on the stand.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »
Oh wise guy, huh? (Pokes Sk8 Rat in the eyes)

Lookin' forward to the new Stooges movie. Could be good.

Now back to our scheduled programming....

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
oh nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. why soitenly
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »
Oh wise guy, huh? (Pokes Sk8 Rat in the eyes)

Lookin' forward to the new Stooges movie. Could be good.

Now back to our scheduled programming....
New Stooges movie ! I have not heard about that ! "my nerves my nerves"
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
Jim Carrey, Sean Penn And Benicio Del Toro Cast As Three Stooges
Farrelly brothers will direct award-winning trio in the film, due in 2010.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1607739/story.jhtml
According to a report in Variety, the laugh-worthy rumor is actually true: Sean Penn will follow his recent Oscar-winning performance in "Milk" by taking on the role of Larry. The porcupine-haired silent partner in the trio was portrayed for five decades by Larry Fine and became best known for his love of the violin and getting in the middle of the other two Stooges during eye-poke fights. We can only assume that Penn will be bringing back his "Carlito's Way" haircut.

As for the pivotal role of soup-slurping, chrome-domed Curly, it looks like Jim Carrey will be slowly turning, step-by-step and inch-by-inch. Long considered the modern-day master of the sort of physical comedy the Stooges invented, Carrey's work in films like "Liar, Liar" owes a clear debt to Jerome "Curly" Howard. Still, it's hard to imagine an actor that looks less appropriate physically, so expect quite a transformation as Carrey reportedly intends to gain 40 pounds to play the role of the dumbest Stooge.

Finally, the Farrelly brothers are looking to cast Benicio del Toro — last seen in Steven Soderbergh's deadly serious biopic of Cuban revolutionary Ernesto "Che" Guevara — as Moe. The leader of the Stooges, the character was originated by Moe Howard and was marked by the loving brutality (heads in vices, nose tweaks, ear twists, etc.) he'd dole out on his associates.

Updated -Penn has wisely bowed out.

Hornisse

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
Anyone say Upright bass?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
He's got dot position markers on the fingerboard! Go to 4:00 in the video... I've never seen a dot neck on an upright before.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
I've always been a little intimidated by the upright.  I did take a really close look at a Zeta Crossover bass a couple years back.  It seemed to be a pretty smooth introduction to trying to go upright.  I may still get one, if I ever start making any real money playing.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »
Used to play one 30 years ago---it's the one part of my former life that I still haven't been able to "get back"...a garishly beautiful natural color plywood Englehardt---

I love the crossover stuff Edgar Meyer does...I have heard about the dots before, and I believe it...no one plays as beautifully as he does in the upper register of the instrument...he sounds perfectly in tune and violin-like in a register of the instrument where you need massive physical strength just to play the notes let alone have 'em sound good.

Check out the stuff he does with Bela Fleck.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:45:34 PM by patman »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
I've always been a little intimidated by the upright.  I did take a really close look at a Zeta Crossover bass a couple years back.  It seemed to be a pretty smooth introduction to trying to go upright.  I may still get one, if I ever start making any real money playing.

Don't be intimidated by an upright. Get a good teacher and you'll be just fine. Strangely, I find it easier to play in tune than my fretless P bass. And more rewarding.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »
I used to take a round piece of paper from a hole punch, and (using cellophane tape) tape it to the side of the neck to use for a fifth fret marker, even in conservatory...

It worked for me, but then again I guess that's why I'm a CPA and not in an orchestra.

I do remember my arco sound being pretty awful...this is one tough instrument to make "sing"

I always liked the weird looks that the Englehardt (looked like it belonged in Elvis' band) would get from the sophisticated "artsy" music school types...I didn't care--I had a steady gig playing rock n roll for a living, and could pay for my own damn music school.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:17:14 PM by patman »

Hornisse

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »
He's got dot position markers on the fingerboard! Go to 4:00 in the video... I've never seen a dot neck on an upright before.

I saw them on the Woodsongs program last night.  The dots are there and the bass is a 1769 Gabrielli made in Florence.  He talked about how the bass made it to the States in the 1950's and that his Dad located it in 1958 (2 years before Edgar Jr. was born!) and they were finally able to buy it from that owner in 1983.  It is a great sounding instrument.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »
Has anybody actually tried to play an EB-1 origional or reissue with the telescoping pole for any period of time? Seem pretty awkward to me............... :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »
The old Gretsch John Holmes model may be easier to handle.