Author Topic: Cool Picking Technique  (Read 4362 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Picking Technique
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
Terry, you're completely missing the point. It's not about liking (or not liking) Anthony Jackson, and it's not about whether or not obscure stuff is good.

It's about posting two very obscure songs and saying it's strange that nobody mentioned them, when you know damned well how unlikely it is that anyone else here has heard them. Some people just have a compulsion to prove to everybody else how much they know.

Yes, I have loads of obscure old stuff in my music collection. But I know they're obscure and I would never assume anyone else knows of them.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Dave, Terr, Wouter... none of you will ever persuade me to eat a bacon sandwich...  ;D

My daughter runs with the opinion that I only have 2 rules...

1) dad is always right...
2) if wrong, see rule one...

The latter is usually followed by a raspberry...

My photography runs to similar rules...

"I only take pictures of 2 things - things that move and things that don't..."

Equally dumb...

The older we get the more obscure the things we took for granted tend to become, a bit like my train of thought...?

If I don't play in a trad style I use my whole hand, a flicking action similar to Stanley CLarke but nothing like anyone I've ever seen and I can't post a video of it because I haven't found it on youtube...  :o

ps... any fans of "Hector The Helicopter" out there...?

pps still haven't found all the bits of my brain...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
With all due respect: Neither Jackson or Benavente are obscure or semi-obscure (the man played an EB-2 once!) if you take even a fleeting interest in jazz rock and jazz electric players, Dave! And it's ok to contribute them here if their technique meets the subject.

I'm not sure Jackson's style fits the bill though. What he does reminds me more of the "claw", a style where the thumb plays only the E string, the index only the A, the middle finger only the D and the ring finger only the G. It's a derived flamenco style I believe, Jack Bruce (not originally, but today) and Sting (not originally, but again today) use it (or variations of it) too.

With Benavente I can't deduce from the clip whether he is holding a pick or not. I find his flamenco bass style interesting. Perhaps not two hours of it, but a couple of minutes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
I didn't say Jackson was obscure, I said the songs were obscure, and they certainly are. You know the real reason they were posted here.

Nothing against Benavent, but just ask all the bassists you know in your personal life (not from internet forums) who he is and see how many can identify him. Then ask the same people if they know who Lemmy is.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:59 PM »
who would win in a fight? Lemmy or God?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »
who would win in a fight? Lemmy or God?

:mrgreen:

Glad to see some perspective put back into the matter  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
I've heard people say Lemmy IS God  :toast:

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »
Lemmy is Satan but does he use my picking technique?