Author Topic: Bass Backbone  (Read 7145 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Bass Backbone
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 07:21:32 AM »

That whole heavy classic rock thing seems to be long forgotten now.

I loved Free & James Gang as well.

Wolfmother I think tapped into the sound
Man I loved live James gang, always loved the live arrangement of Walk Away, much better than the studio version. They did a similar version on James Gang Live. The bass sound is just Killer on that you tube video ! Heavy rock forgotten ? Hell thats all we do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:06:56 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

DrFeelBad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »
It was dresses over leather pants. LOL.

Chaser001

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 04:07:04 AM »
It was dresses over leather pants. LOL.

The James Gang in dresses?  No one was wearing a dress when my band opened up for them. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:33:22 AM by Chaser001 »

Chaser001

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 04:27:13 AM »
When speaking of bass backbones & Love in the same thread, I'm surprised that "7 and 7 Is" wasn't mentioned.  That was one of the songs that really impressed upon me what a bass can do to a song.  "Rain" by the Beatles, along with the other side of the 45: "Paperback Writer" were also totally bass driven (BTW wasn't that like the 1st 45 that was released with two "A" sides?), oh, and "Lady Madonna", etc. etc.  Don't forget Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" & "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell & the Drells.  I always feel compelled to point out how much the bass serves as the backbone in Jimi Hendrix's stuff--e.g. "Manic Depression" & "Fire".  Sometimes I think that the basslines that Jimi composed (& often played on the recordings) were nearly as much a legacy as his guitar work.

I realize I'm commenting on an old post.  However, I just saw this.  Although I agree with everything that is being said here, I'd like to point out that the bass in "Fire" is Noel Redding's bass line that he composed himself.  I think on "Manic Depression" he is mostly doubling Hendrix's guitar riff with a few minor variations. 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
The James Gang in dresses?  No one was wearing a dress when my band opened up for them. 

That's in reference to my mentioning Duran Duran's appearance on SNL.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chaser001

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »

That's in reference to my mentioning Duran Duran's appearance on SNL.

Thanks

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Zombie thread.