Author Topic: So Barkless  (Read 7626 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
So Barkless
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:15 AM »
I have been wondering about your white EBO with the Pitbull and thought I would ask if you made any sound clips of it? This one:

I have a EB3 bridge pup but am doubting if using the Gibby pup is really the way to go or not. Gibby EB3 bridge pups always sounded a little bony to me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:29:30 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So Barkless
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »
Just by the range of the string the Pitbull reads, I'd say any minibucker doesn't stand a chance against it especially in the bridge position.

John (the hound without howl) posted only recently that his whitey EB sounds like a Yamaha Attitude, that mix of Fender and Gibson worlds popularized by Herr Sheehan.

I have an EB-O with an RD Standard stacked humbucker pup in the bridge position, sounds great and in connection with the mudbucker even a little Ric'ish overall. Anything is better than those minipups really.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Nice Uwe! Something about white EB's does it for me and that Warwick bridge is just extra icing on the cake. I just got one from an LP in yesterday.

VVT?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
My love for the Evertilt/Tiltomatic/two-point-bridge is well-documented in this forum. It's the second-worst American engineering invention/crime since the electric chair.

And that at least worked. Most of the time.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Vol Vol Tone setup on your wiring Uwe? i am thinking i want to keep it as simple as possible.

i am a fan your your discerning ears and really appreciate your opinion here in about all matters except when you and the Frau get into it, then i set back and laugh. thank you.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
Ooops, now I get it! I thought you were referring to Validation, Verification, Testing. I'm so bad at acronyms, sorry.

Yes, vol, vol, tone. One of the control routings used to be the jack which is now at the side.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:08:06 AM »
About the cleanest song I can remember with it is Paddle Foot. I used mostly the EB-0 except the Bass Synth which was the Blueshawk w Kahler.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=9657572

The bass tends to be best at two roles, one is the high single coil mode thin twangy sound (PitBull) & the other is the Mudbucker with heavy effects-
Mudbucker with heavy effects, heard here with- The buzzy Farty noises & Lowbass parts-

Crazy Idiot Bassplayer

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=578947&songID=7804811

Definitely one of my favorite basses- no other bass does what it can (Mudbucker & pitbull combo)

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 04:58:57 AM »
Thanks for posting those clips. I don't think I have ever heard a growl like that from an EB before. I put my mini up for sale on the bay and am going for a Pitbull. To me it sounds like a T-Bird on steroids!  :mrgreen: Kind of like having wild 45 second groping and kissing in the kitchen while the guests are seated in the dining room. Then the dressing and gravy gets carried out with a perfect host smile.

I do have a HAS Sound switch coming back from the Colby build, an extra part from a change in design, or I could make the volume an on/off/vol switch by modifying the wiper surface for one extreme to another when I don't want a blended tone. That would cut down on the controls.

My invisioned future '59 EB3 just got reconciled (to win over to friendliness) a little.

"Then I had this vision!!"...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:25:29 AM by sniper »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »

Dayamn ! Do you keep that beauty in the office or at home ?  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
I have been wondering about your white EBO with the Pitbull and thought I would ask if you made any sound clips of it? This one:

I have a EB3 bridge pup but am doubting if using the Gibby pup is really the way to go or not. Gibby EB3 bridge pups always sounded a little bony to me.

Mine features a Big D Varitone & Push Pull Volume pot coil splitter, which barely fits in the cavity.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
do my eyes decieve me or is that evertilt recessed a smidge?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
It is, you know how bad these things are ... I think that was even done by the pre-owner, so John is innocent for once.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
Dayamn ! Do you keep that beauty in the office or at home ?  :mrgreen:

Pic is my (former) home (hey, but I still own half of it!  :) ), but like all Gibbies it is in the office now, I keep the non-Gibbies in the (new) home.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »
It is, you know how bad these things are ... I think that was even done by the pre-owner, so John is innocent for once.

no disrespect intended John or Uwe, i simply thought it might be a string height issue of not being able to go low enough for some reason or another like a previously reset neck or other reasons. i was really questioning my refraction correction because i was not sure.

;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
Of course, it's all about getting sensible action on these things. Filing the saddles deeper is another option.

Or getting a Warwick bridge.

IIRC, the less than low action is the one and only gripe John has about this bass.

Mine actually came into being because of it: I overturned the trussrod in an effort to get the action sensibly low and with that repair coming up I decided to have it refinned and have an extra pup added (plus buying a new EB-0, a slothead this time whose two point is not giving the same issues).