Author Topic: eb3 body measurements  (Read 3161 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
eb3 body measurements
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
could anyone please tell me the thickness of an early model
SG bass as they are called now and, were the early models SG's actually guitar bodies?

i was wanting the measurements of a 61-65 era EBO or EB3.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:13:02 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: eb3 body measurements
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »
My 1965 EB-0F measures about 1.340 thick. It was refinished years ago so it may have been sanded down a bit.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
The basses have always had the same body as the companion guitars.

The nominal body thickness is 1 3/8" (then and now) but they weren't being popped out on CNC machines back then.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
Thanks to both of you guys. All i have is my present Epi as the Lacewood/Mahog body (pictured) is in storage right now. I will have to drag it out as I sold it this week end with the Great Dealz neck fitted. I ordered a Warmoth body after the computer hung on that bid for the Gibby body. I was PO'd to say the least and I spec'd a new body at 1.5 inches in talking to Spike. He thought I was crazy as I wanted no neck pocket or neck holes (they have to drill one to locate it for programming in the the CAD machine...(upper left as you look at the front but I can cut that off), no holes, no bridge route and no pup route with only the control cavity and cover.

It should be light enough. Their guitar SG body is a little shorter than their bass body. ;D ;D

JFSAG (just for sh-ts and giggles) it is posting 111 F here in Pecos today, the snow is melting.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:05 AM »
Just a question here... so, my early 70's SG special (six string) could have the neck removed and with the right components... not saying I would; just thinking in text...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:33:02 AM »
Noo! Keep it a guitar! Didn't you have the P90 one? Post some pics at the guitar section!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:59 AM »
Mini humbuckers, a-la-Firebird... don't worry, only joking... there is a pic posted way back when in that department but I intend to do a proper refin at some point... you know what I'm like... (old Scottish Hebridean laid back accent) Aye well... we'll get aroond tae it some-time... ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »
Just a question here... so, my early 70's SG special (six string) could have the neck removed and with the right components... not saying I would; just thinking in text...

Step away from the saw.........put your hands in the air!  Lay the SG, carefully, on the ground!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
To answer your question, yes, you could. But don't.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Good grief, don't you guys trust me...?  :vader:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:27:15 AM »
The basses have always had the same body as the companion guitars.

The nominal body thickness is 1 3/8" (then and now) but they weren't being popped out on CNC machines back then.

True almost always, but also with the maple neck bigger body EB-0s, -3, and -4 of the early seventies when the pup moved back, the maple neck came and the body grew fatter and heavier? I've never seen an SG guitar like that (the fat body must have looked weird with the skimpy guitar neck), but then perhaps I never looked closely enough. Also, by 72 SG guitars went pretty much out of fashion so you don't see a lot from that era.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:34:37 AM »
Good grief, don't you guys trust me...?  :vader:

Ken needs protective confinement and restraint.

If you tolerate this, your basses will be next.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:01:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
True almost always, but also with the maple neck bigger body EB-0s, -3, and -4 of the early seventies when the pup moved back, the maple neck came and the body grew fatter and heavier? I've never seen an SG guitar like that (the fat body must have looked weird with the skimpy guitar neck), but then perhaps I never looked closely enough. Also, by 72 SG guitars went pretty much out of fashion so you don't see a lot from that era.

The 70s SGs looked like the 70s EB-0/EB-3s. Both the guitars and basses looked thicker thanks to the different beveling, although I think this came up before and Jules said they weren't actually thicker. They were certainly heavier thanks to the maple.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »
Ah... Cold-Bitz... I like the decor they have in the soft room...  ;)

a skinny early seventies SG with Bigsby - this one will get the proper treatment in time - no TEQUILA's for her... ;D

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:27 AM »
I know we did look at this is some detail once upon a time... and although I can't remember exactly what we found out, I recall some of the catalogue details were simply not updated from the previous catalogue when they should have been. I think the post 72 basses are different, although I don't have a 70s SG guitar at hand to compare. My 69 EB3 and 69 SG special certainly do match.

The 1975 Gibson bass catalogue, and the 1975 Gibson solid body catalogue both give the dimensions as length 16" width 12 3/4" thickness 1 5/16" for the EB3 and SG standard respectively.

This may be correct for the guitar, but is WRONG for the bass.... the post 72 EB3 is a shade under 1.6" (whatever that is in 16ths, it is more than 1 5/16"). This data is merely copied from previous catalogues, with the error persisting right up until the end with the 1978 Gibson catalogue.