Author Topic: 1964 EB-0F Getting Refinished............. Finally!  (Read 7586 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
1964 EB-0F Getting Refinished............. Finally!
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
I bought this bass in 1996, with the intention of getting it refinished back to it's original color. I was still in my collecting mode, so getting this done was low on my priority list. My wife & I were going to take a short trip to La Crosse Wisconsin, so I had to stop at Dave's Guitar Shop. I brought it along, showed it to him & he agreed to restore it. I'm sure he and his employees will do a great job. It should be done in 4 to 6 weeks.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 1964 EB-0F Getting Refinished............. Finally!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
It doesn't look like it needs to be restored...looks good.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
That thing is nice! What a pretty hunk of wood!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
It doesn't look like it needs to be restored...looks good.

+1

Save the money and use it for extras on the trip ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
The refin that it has now might look better in the photos, but it's kind of rough looking. I also wanted it cherry again. My other basses are from the later sixty's, stained in the darker cherry. I considered doing this one the same, but decided on keeping it original. If it hadn't already been refinished, I would have probably left it as it was.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
That one deserves a nice restoration.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
It'll look like new for it's 50th birthday in 2014, but it'll still sound like an electric fart! :vader:

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »
It'll look like new for it's 50th birthday in 2014, but it'll still sound like an electric fart! :vader:

One can only wonder what music would sound like today if the EB0F set the standard for bass electronics back then.
The eighties would be remembered for purple metallic eb basses with chorus modified fuzz tone circuits and EMG mudbuckers  :)

But I agree, brown ain´t right for this axe. My EBOF needs one to, it had a cherry refin in the 80´s and it is has a slight purple-ish hue.
The only problem is that the refin is so perfectly done...
The good thing ´bout it was that the original electronics was gone - and I couldn´t find decent working 2N270´s.
So I built a fuzzface kind of circuit, works great - if you cut the attack the volume is just a boost.
A boosted mudbucker, now that´s something :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:41 AM »
 many Early EB0s and EB3s I have seen have faded out a more brown tone. I first noticed this in the early-mid 70's. The fading   could take place rather quickly say over the course of ten years or so. If that is the original finish I would keep it just as it is.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
The guitar had been refinished rather poorly. The clear coat, which I'm not sure what it even is, had a lot of drips & voids. This guitar showed up for a couple years at several local guitar shows. I bought the hand rest off of it for my 1967 EB-2. It was finally purchased by a local vintage guitar store. He had two of them in his store at the same time. The other one was more of a purple cherry, he claimed it was original. He passed away suddenly, I ended up buying the bass from his wife at his estate sale. If they did come in the more purple cherry, I would have refinished it to match my other cherry SG shaped basses. Even the EB-4L is the darker cherry. The sun seems to fade the cherry to almost a walnut color. The heat from your hand fades the back of the neck also. You get an oval mark under your STP sticker as it fades...... :-[

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 08:28:36 AM »
Ok didn't know it was a refin! Have at it!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »
Cherry will be nice but if your doing a refin it couldn't hurt to consider a custom color could it? I mean for a bass as funky as the EB-OF, an equally funky color almost seems appropriate. Heather or Inverness or Kerry Green perhaps?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
George, you bought it from Roger Benedict's estate?

I agree with doing it in cherry. A Gibson custom color wouldn't be wrong but IMHO would look out of place on an EB-0F.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
That would look awesome in Polaris White or TV Yellow.

Cherry is just so ... typical.  It's already refinned, so I'd say have some fun with it. ... and IMO correctness is over-rated.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
George, you bought it from Roger Benedict's estate?

I agree with doing it in cherry. A Gibson custom color wouldn't be wrong but IMHO would look out of place on an EB-0F.

It did come from Roger Benedict's estate. The two he had & the one you bought from Willie's are the only three I've ever seen in this town. I bought a '67 ES-335 from Roger saw the two in his store at that time. As far as custom colors, I guess I'm kind of boring. A Les Paul Custom should be black, etc................. If it would have had a neck repair or other major damage, Polaris White would have made it look cool & hid the repair.