Author Topic: Gibson Thunderbird Gothic  (Read 9552 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Gibson Thunderbird Gothic
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Hi
First post here, just wanted to say hello from the UK.  Main bass is a sweet creamy/white Thunderbird, just love it.  #2 is Hamer FBIV in black.  I'm kind of desperate to find a black T-Bird as well (funds waiting!  ;D)

Quick question.  Gibson Thunderbird Gothics.  I've seen a few photos of these online, although it really has to said that I wasn't aware they existed until recently although I'm now fairly certain I saw one in Mannys/GC in September 2009.  Can anyone shoot me a bit more information?  Numbers etc.  Do they ever come up for sale?

Cheers and thanks!
Best
Paul
The future I come from no longer exists.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Thunderbird Gothic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »
Welcome aboard, Paul. I have no idea how many were made, never have seen one in person either.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
I have one. Only difference to a regular TBird is that it doesn't have a nine-ply neck of walnut and maho, but a two-ply one solely of maho. No idea why, they might have just saved costs. Only a few of these crept out and they were deleted quickly. My then shop got one and they called me and before I could get out "I don't collect for fins", their luthier had me hooked: "But this one has a different neck, Uwe!" The tricks these salespeople use to lure innocent folk like me ...

It also has stronger (or, depending on your view: less clear) pups, but I don't think that had to do with the Goth aspect, but rather all TBirds had their pup output boosted around that time.

I've had it for years, no one in this forum ever gave a rat's ass about it, just another faded black TBird to them. Mortals!!! I get ignored a lot. All the time.

Anybody read this?!!!!    ; - )
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »

Yeah.

Get a PC.

Wait, wrong forum!!!!!!!!  ???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
I have one. Only difference to a regular TBird is that it doesn't have a nine-ply neck of walnut and maho, but a two-ply one solely of maho. No idea why, they might have just saved costs. Only a few of these crept out and they were deleted quickly. My then shop got one and they called me and before I could get out "I don't collect for fins", their luthier had me hooked: "But this one has a different neck, Uwe!" The tricks these salespeople use to lure innocent folk like me ...

It also has stronger (or, depending on your view: less clear) pups, but I don't think that had to do with the Goth aspect, but rather all TBirds had their pup output boosted around that time.

I've had it for years, no one in this forum ever gave a rat's ass about it, just another faded black TBird to them. Mortals!!! I get ignored a lot. All the time.

Anybody read this?!!!!    ; - )

Did it have chrome hardware?  ;)

BTW Welcome here Paul............It's the Gibson asylum.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:57:26 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »

Didn't that bass have some sort of warranty issue?  :mrgreen:

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:35:27 AM »
Thanks for making me welcome!

The pics I've seen of the Gothic show the grain on the body is visible rather than it just being a flat solid black and of course it's got a black plate on it.

Uwe, I'd be grateful if you could throw up some pics!

Cheers
Paul

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
BTW Welcome here Paul............It's the Gibson asylum.

I've been following your TB threads over on TB for some time, you have a pant-wettingly great collection!
P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
The Black Brigade ...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:31:29 AM »
Thanks for making me welcome!

The pics I've seen of the Gothic show the grain on the body is visible rather than it just being a flat solid black and of course it's got a black plate on it.

Uwe, I'd be grateful if you could throw up some pics!

Cheers
Paul

Lieber Paul,

danke for being one of the few people in this place not heaping derision on me. I'll gladly oblige, submission is my forte, but do I really have to throw the pics up?  :puke:

Mine is a 2006er, I believe they all were, bit of a test run for the Nikki Sixx Signature that followed and had the grain showing too. This is the best grain shot I could get:

Of course, inevitably, someone will now quip how it needs some chrome!!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:28:42 AM by uwe »

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:15:52 AM »
I have to say I prefer the Gothic to the Blackbird.  Nice.

These are my two, but I've de-chromed the Hamer...all black now.  I've got funds in place for a black T-bird as soon as one turns up.

Best
Paul

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
"These are my two, but I've de-chromed the Hamer...all black now. "

There is nothing like a good deed done, my young limey. Where may I kiss you first?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unless you are a Nikki fan, the only reason to own a Blackird is that it is - for whatever reason - leaner sounding than any other TBird I know or own. It sounds almost thin over a small rehearsal amp, but just right and very cutting over a large rig. A bass for stadiums.

PS: While also part of the three point bridge liking minority here, I do like the way the Supertone looks on your whitey. I only put a Supertone on my Blackbird so I would have at least one TBird with that replacement bridge. I like the looks, but the sustain gain is minimal (not that you would need sustain gain on a TBird anyway) and I'm fine with the adjustment possibilities of a three point. But the Supertone is a nice modern bridge all the same.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:30:07 AM by uwe »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
Welcome to the Outpost!!

The finish on my BlackBird is very smooth. No wood grain showing at all that I've noticed.

It does sound different than my 2001 Ebony, but in a good way. Its brighter and a little more aggresive than my 2001. 
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Yup, the Blackbirds are not grainy, they had filler put on before.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »

How they're supposed to look  ;)

Interesting tho, that this comes up because my  '77 is on it way to Lull's today - It's going to be stripped of it's parts and I'll be sending it off to Marty Bell for a refin.

And this one gets some new Lull pickups today :)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »
"These are my two, but I've de-chromed the Hamer...all black now. "

There is nothing like a good deed done, my young limey. Where may I kiss you first?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unless you are a Nikki fan, the only reason to own a Blackird is that it is - for whatever reason - leaner sounding than any other TBird I know or own. It sounds almost thin over a small rehearsal amp, but just right and very cutting over a large rig. A bass for stadiums.

PS: While also part of the three point bridge liking minority here, I do like the way the Supertone looks on your whitey. I only put a Supertone on my Blackbird so I would have at least one TBird with that replacement bridge. I like the looks, but the sustain gain is minimal (not that you would need sustain gain on a TBird anyway) and I'm fine with the adjustment possibilities of a three point. But the Supertone is a nice modern bridge all the same.

The Supertone was more necessity than demand...the bridge couldn't go any lower, but now I decent control over action and intonation.

Aah, the chrome.  We're not best buddies to be honest although there is still quite a bit of it on my other basses!

No kisses necessary!
P