Author Topic: My New '77 Thunderbird  (Read 7264 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: My New '77 Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Tell me about it. I didn't weigh the bass separately, but the parcel weight was 57 lbs! Even with the packing material and box considered, the case must weigh about 40 lbs.

That's why we sometimes use 1/4'' polypropylene panels instead of laminated 3/8'' birch plywood. They're about 30% lighter. The big case I made for my Bachbird came in at 29 pounds. All the other hardware and aluminum extrusion is of the same quality on either.

(I skimped and used a surface handle instead of a recessed one for some reason...)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
I couldn't afford a flight case for my Precision when I was doing road work,so I built one.  I think I used 3/8" plywood.  The road crew HATED me.  Still, the day the truck backed over my bass, it paid off.

I built a case for my first Fenderbird out of 3/8" ply and 3/4" pine sides and center brace/neck support.  I made it into a 3+1 headstock 15 years later and then it fit into a regular case as well as stopped diving.  I fondly remember taking the hinges, latches and handle off the carcass and leaving it in a mini storage space in High Point, NC.  It weighed around 30 lbs.

That's a sweet case, Tom!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
Love that 77- nice catch

wow, cool! i always wondered how the sound of those differed with the pickups being in series and all.

My 76 has those sidewinder pickups, but it was rewired in parallel at some point.  I'm sure that people here could discern the subtle differences, but IMO the sound is real similar to the newer birds (same wiring config).  Had it side by side with Nokturnal's black 2000(?) several times.

Can't say I've heard the series sound up close and personal, but I might speculate that it would yield more midrange emphasis/honk?  It'd be easy enough to convert one to parallel, though, if desired.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
I have two of those anvil type cases - one for my prototype single cut Ripper, it came with it, and one for my banez Flying V long scale, I had it made - spectacularly bad mistake!!!!! I've used both of them once.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
When you are doing 20+ gigs a month for a couple straight years, and your bass is tossed into the back of a truck repeatedly, a flight case becomes almost necessary.  When the bass sits in the closet and goes with you in your car to a couple gigs a month, the gig bag is your friend.    :thumbsup:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
 Uwe, I may have seen it before but I don't remember you having the Ibanez V. Is it the mate to my '76 Destroyer with the stock P/J set up ?
I have two of those anvil type cases - one for my prototype single cut Ripper, it came with it, and one for my banez Flying V long scale, I had it made - spectacularly bad mistake!!!!! I've used both of them once.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
Naw, you are talking about the later model which was called - wince - Rocket Roll. Mine is 76 cherry maho long scale model with an Ibannez mudbucker and a minibucker. It sounds like a docile 70ies EB-3L. I bought it out of affectionate interest only because I wanted one at the time (a cover band bassist had one) but it was unaffordable for me then. It's the same model your friend Herr Lea played on the Thanks for the Memory promo for instance. I don't think he ever used it live.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
Cleaned up and ready for Sunday School

I made the new pick guard, stuck a paper bird on for pix (99% humidity this AM warped it, I'll get around to doing a decal eventually or find an original guard), knobs are from Allparts.

Remains of the leather strap lock dye.  Bass has a lot of touch up on typical chip areas. I haven't done anything but clean and polish.  Frets have also been leveled, obviously it's been played a lot.  Mark really took care of this 'Bird!

The overlay looks like plastic under the paint.  Nickel Bass Burners.

Original hand rest, I bought a repro bridge cover a while back.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »
SUPERBICIFRAGITENNIALEXPIALIDOCIOUS!!!!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Beautiful!! Congrats Carlo!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Lookin' good!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
 Yes that's it ! Man I would love either one though the cherry with the muddy and mini would be cool because of the Jim Lea connection.
Naw, you are talking about the later model which was called - wince - Rocket Roll. Mine is 76 cherry maho long scale model with an Ibannez mudbucker and a minibucker. It sounds like a docile 70ies EB-3L. I bought it out of affectionate interest only because I wanted one at the time (a cover band bassist had one) but it was unaffordable for me then. It's the same model your friend Herr Lea played on the Thanks for the Memory promo for instance. I don't think he ever used it live.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »
Gorgeous!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
i'm happy for you Carlo, congrats to the bass for finding a good home with you
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
Thanks, Guys!