Author Topic: Gibson Victory question  (Read 4680 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Victory question
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 05:09:49 AM »
Thanks all! Actually, I'm glad you guys like the Mustang on the p/g. I probably would not have put it on myself but since I got the bass from a buddy who's had it for years, I'll leave it on as a nod towards him. Uwe, I think it's one of those decals/stickers which is composed of an outline only, made of some sort of vinyl or something. This type is pretty common in the States, especially on cars and trucks.

Does fit in that spot well, doesn't it? When the shop told me there was nothing wrong with the pickup itself, boy was I relieved. The Vic is REALLY punchy and strong in the mid-range and I'm finding the beveled edge on the top of the body to be really comfortable.

This weekend I'm going to weigh the Vic and the Ripper and see which one is really heavier, but I definitely believe the Vic is better balanced now that you guys have mentioned it and I've tried both.

As far as LPs, iPods and stuff, I honestly think cds are the bane of the music world. As a dj at a college station, I'm forever frustrated by cd players which simply refuse to play certain discs. And usually I'm in a rush when I open a case for a cd, and the lid goes flying off one direction, then the other half pitches out of my other hand while the disc flings off invariably landing with the wrong side down. I love LPs!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »
no defense of Jobs from me but I think assigning the blame of the MP3 revolution (read ruination here) to Herr Jobs is giving him more credit (or discredit) than is due the man. Suggesting that no one used mp3's before the iPod?  What next, I suppose Bill Gates will get the credit for that wonderful audio format WAV?  

You can put away your fishing pole now Uwe :P
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 07:06:52 AM »
Uwe just needs to step out of the Middle Ages. :toast:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »
But I'm comfortable in my armor!  :mrgreen:

I was half-joking, I've never spent time with an Apple computer, despise iPod for principal reasons and anything touchscreen drives me mad. I want keys or buttons. All credit to Herr Jobs for carving a niche and having ideas, but I'm just not his targeted market.

Bringing this back on track, I think a Victory is more Microsoft than Apple. I shudder to think what basses Apple would design.  :o
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »

Bringing this back on track, I think a Victory is more Microsoft than Apple. I shudder to think what basses Apple would design.  :o

They would be game controllers that look like basses. They would have touch screens. They would be twice as expensive as any other mass produced basses on the market. The sound quality would be bad, but their customers wouldn't care.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »
They would be game controllers that look like basses. They would have touch screens. They would be twice as expensive as any other mass produced basses on the market. The sound quality would be bad, but their customers wouldn't care.

BUT, Apple basses would never stop working for no reason.  ;D
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »
Forget it, they'd be featherlight so girls would look good with them, your Victory just couldn't qualify.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »
Thank god I'm not a featherlight girl!
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
Been on me hols... so... not that I could ever be described as straying from the topic; saw a really nice Aerocoupe at a really out of the way aerodrome in North Devon... er...

Ipods ROCK...! (mine's red and stores hundreds of stuff, and just like M*cr*s*ft, it "crashes" from time to time...)

Unless you've never had a driving job you just would not understand, and thank the stars that I no longer have to carry around boxes of tapes or CD's just waitintg to be ruined by a hot van... ain't never had a "quality" sound-system - just LOUD ones...  ;D

ps - nice bass, Denis...   8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...