Author Topic: Be careful what you ask for  (Read 1739 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Be careful what you ask for
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 12:00:30 AM »
Here many of the commercials are geared toward helping people who have been in a wreck find a good local attorney who can keep them from being ripped off by insurance companies.

Same here. Four large local Personal Injury firms are constantly advertising.

But if we're talking about lawyers advertising, I have to mention the Texas Law Hawk

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 02:29:33 AM »
Same here. Four large local Personal Injury firms are constantly advertising.

But if we're talking about lawyers advertising, I have to mention the Texas Law Hawk

There used to be one here whose commercials did seem silly.  But after a while it didn't bother me.  The work people like that do is important.  I've had to avail myself of their services and so have others I know.  Personally, to me it has made a big difference. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 02:20:21 PM »
Here many of the commercials are geared toward helping people who have been in a wreck find a good local attorney who can keep them from being ripped off by insurance companies.

Yup, we have lots of personal injury attorneys who blast early evening programming with their ads. My favorite is Frank Azar, "The Strongarm".

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 09:27:45 PM »
They're on at all hours here, not just at a specific time frame.  People talk about how ubiquitous this is. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
I realize that our business development department has some catching up to do. Our ads seem a little tame to me ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
Uwe, you're missing the element of the classic AY-murrican huckster hustle: "Get yours, no matter whether you're right or wrong."  (And the sub-text is that Mr. Huckster attorney will take a big chunk of whatever you get as his/her cut.)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
Uwe, you're missing the element of the classic AY-murrican huckster hustle: "Get yours, no matter whether you're right or wrong."  (And the sub-text is that Mr. Huckster attorney will take a big chunk of whatever you get as his/her cut.)

That's right.  Although personally I've certainly needed lawyers to help protect me from complications involving auto accidents when I was clearly not at fault.  Not pleasant at all.  Strangely enough, some of the insurance company commercials are some of the funniest and happiest of all.  Needless to say, this may not line up with reality. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:31:10 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:24 PM »
One of the most amusing ongoing insurance company commercials is that of "Mayhem", portrayed by Dean Winters.

Winters has done some movies (including the second John Wick) but only recently overcame a potentially deadly bacterial infection which cost him two toes and half a thumb.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »
He does a very good job with those commercials, but I didn't know of the physical problems he has had to endure. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
I was surprised to read about it recently.  Evidently he has some level of ongoing pain. Gotta be difficult.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
He was in a radio commercial I heard earlier today.  Up to this point, I had only seen him on TV. 

--Blaise Pascal