Author Topic: could give Greta Van Fleet a run for their money  (Read 6577 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: could give Greta Van Fleet a run for their money
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »
Yeah I've seen that before.
What a clumsy young puppy he was there  :mrgreen:

Then there's this pic from the vault. The guy just to Ray's left is Gregg Munier (RIP), later a founding member and the keyboard player of Saraya - the late 80s band - also an old friend.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 08:01:01 AM »
Sorry, I have to digress for a while (for the avoidance of doubt, I have the new Jake E. Lee CD and I think he was the most gifted Ozzy guitarist - and that includes Randy):

Steven W (everybody's favorite bespectacled-depressive Dark Prog nerd/intellectual) has chipped in with/against the Gretas:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/steven-wilson-slams-abysmal-greta-van-fleet-theyre-like-a-boy-band-led-zeppelin

I like Porcupine Tree and his solo work (plus am thankful for his many excellent remixes of Prog greats), but what exactly is "abysmal" or even conceptually wrong with a "boy-band-Led Zeppelin"? Led Zep were a "boy-band-Yardbirds" themselves and milked/lemon-juiced Plant's sex appeal (which Keith Relf admittedly lacked) abundantly, they made/stole a whole song about an orgasm. Old pots calling the new kettle black.

Greta obviously fill a void for younger rock listeners who want to hear classic rock, but not see middle-aged men/senior citizens. If that gets them away from non-rock bands or the umpteenth shoegazer music combo, then I wouldn't mind if there were another dozen Gretas. Bring'em on.

As a Rick Springfield fan, I never had issues with someone looking gorgeous and still playing music I could like. You can't have it all.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:17:39 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
PS: I'll report about the new Red Dragon Cartel release once I have heard it!  :mrgreen:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
PS: I'll report about the new Red Dragon Cartel release once I have heard it!  :mrgreen:

I finally had the opportunity to sit down and listen to the RDC "Patina" album, and I'm not impressed - to the point where I'm probably going to bail on seeing them live. I find it to be almost an Alice In Chains vibe - dark and brooding, minus the catchy choruses that sometimes rear their heads in AIC's music. There are plenty of songs that start out sounding promising, but then reveal themselves to be kind of rudderless, never finding a direction or focus. Jake's guitar sound is grainy and lacking punch - IMHO, of course. Not thrilled with the singer, either.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »

Greta obviously fill a void for younger rock listeners who want to hear classic rock, but not see middle-aged men/senior citizens. If that gets them away from non-rock bands or the umpteenth shoegazer music combo, then I wouldn't mind if there were another dozen Gretas. Bring'em on.

hhmmm way I've heard tell is their audiences are full of older guys congratulating themselves on following a "younger" band
 just hearsay mind, they haven't toured over here so I've yet to see them (or their audience)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
hhmmm way I've heard tell is their audiences are full of older guys congratulating themselves on following a "younger" band
 just hearsay mind, they haven't toured over here so I've yet to see them (or their audience)

Exactly right. I have two sons in the same age group as the GVF guys. I asked them if they or any of their friends liked GVF. The response I got was "No - everyone hates them. They're just a Walmart version of Led Zeppelin."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
My son is 24 and likes them - though not as much as Colter Wall (which he saw in Munich last night). He finds their attempts to copy Led Zep benevolently amusing, but appreciates the work and sheer determination that goes in it. He als feels they have a heart and guts plus a feel for the music.

And he holds the opinion that any type of rock music suffers badly once the protagonists playing it are past 30.  :mrgreen:

Did I tell you about his snide remark when I asked him why the world is awash with Zep copycats, yet no one apes Deep Purple? "That's because Led Zeppelin still moves and intrigues people 40 years after they have split up and your Deep Purple doesn't, dad."  :mrgreen:

I'll disinherit the little bugger. And his sister. She didn't even know who Don Airey was when I called her yesterday before his solo band's gig. When I reminded her of a DP concert in the 90ies which she had witnessed largely on my shoulder (with ELP opening), she wisecracked: "Yeah, I remember that, child abuse knows many forms.;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:29:44 PM by uwe »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »
My son is 24 and likes them - though not as much as Colter Wall (which he saw in Munich last night). He finds their attempts to copy Led Zep benevolently amusing, but appreciates the work and sheer determination that goes in it. He als feels they have a heart and guts plus a feel for the music.

And he holds the opinion that any type of rock music suffers badly once the protagonists playing it are past 30.  :mrgreen:

Did I tell you about his snide remark when I asked him why the world is awash with Zep copycats, yet no one apes Deep Purple? "That's because Led Zeppelin still moves and intrigues people 40 years after they have split up and your Deep Purple doesn't, dad."  :mrgreen:

I'll disinherit the little bugger. And his sister. She didn't even know who Don Airey was when I called her yesterday before his solo band's gig. When I reminded her of a DP concert in the 90ies which she had witnessed largely on my shoulder (with ELP opening), she wisecracked: "Yeah, I remember that, child abuse knows many forms.;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
EXCLUSIVE!

New Greta Van Fleet song!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
Another exclusive! Greta Van Fleet's new lead singer!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
Good pitch!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2019, 11:43:36 AM »
Advanced vibrato!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
He used to sing with Family I believe ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
What I've heard so far sounds good. Much better than the first album of RDC.

Finally got round to listening to it. Yup, definitely an Alice in Chains influence there, which is not a bad thing in my book, they are the only grunge band I can bear listening to for more than a few songs. Some of the riffs sound very sabbathish, circa Sabotage era. Jake's guitar solos are pleasantly old skool and even bluesy. I can easily picture Ozzy singing over some of those backing tracks. Definitely better than the debut.