Author Topic: Building three Stingrays at Knooren.  (Read 1271 times)

Blazer

Building three Stingrays at Knooren.
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
I have every reason to be proud of this one since it was all my innitiative. We had a Musicman stingray in our workshop a couple of months ago for some repairs and since the bass was dissasembled I decided to measure up and trace the body and neck in order to make routing templates, so I could build my own Stingray copy when the opportunity would present itself.

The routing templates I made.

My boss, Jan Knooren, an accomplished luthier himself, saw what I was doing and asked me about it. When I told him about my intentions, he became enthusiastic and asked me to make a routing template of a five string body while I was at it. And my collegue also expressed interrest in me making a four string for him. We then started talking about what kind of woods we should make the basses from and decided to go for mahogany for the basses for me and Knooren while my Collegue decided to go for alder instead, since he had an unused piece still lying around.

All three bodies.

The front and back of the body of my bass.

The Alder body of the one for my Collegue

and finally, the five string body for my boss.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Building three Stingrays at Knooren.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
Lovely job Blazer. I would love to hear a Mahogany Stingray.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
Blazer, looks nice, I hope you finish those in something that doesn't cover up the natural mahogany color and grain.

I've played a couple of mahogany Stingrays, the fairly recent 30th anniversary models. Sounded great, a little darker and more middy than an ash or poplar 'Ray. The two I played were stained a deep dark cherry.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:53:33 AM »
Very nice, I like the mahogany too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!