Author Topic: fingernail files and fretless boards  (Read 1797 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
fingernail files and fretless boards
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
okay, this is gonna sound like something and i don't know what, but you guys will prolly send the guys in white jackets to my door.

i was setting around with nothing to do and i decided i wanted one of my builds to be fretless. i had some veneer around and this slotted ebony board. i wondered for about three seconds, and tried to fit the veneer in one of the slots. 023" slot to be precise, and it fit. tightly, but it did fit.

well i got this stuff in one sheet which i promptly cut into two pieces awhile back for about 4$ off the bay and maybe you can remember when i got the second choice ebony fretboard from Randy Allen earlier this year. i got this idea i can glue it and smooth it down "in house". no glue!!!

after thinking a bit and finding one of my brothers old girlfriends had left her "box" of nail polish, throw away nail files and some clippers. this "box" was about 1 square foot. why do chicks collect this much crap anyways?

i rummaged through the box, found some clear nail polish, took all the sandpaper fingernail boards and the clippers, got the veneer and the fretboard along with a small but good set of sissors and proceeded to my room.

i cut a small piece of veneer that was a bit longer and taller than the slot, trial fitted it, took it back out, glued (nail polished) the edge of the veneer and pushed it into the slot making sure it bottomed out.

then i waited a few moments and trimmed the veneer. sanded it close with Marcie's (bro's afore mentioned ex or maybe it was Lisa's as bro gets around a little) nail files and walah!!!!!!!! instant fretless slot marker of white maple in an ebony fretboard.

wish the kid didn't have my camera but i will take pics of it and post them later.

prolly not a good idea to tell mama what you need her clear nail polish and all her throw away nail polish/sanding  boards for = just steal them and head for your workbench with all the goodies in tow. smile the next time you see mama and tell her how sweet she really is.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:46:53 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• View Profile
Re: fingernail files and fretless boards
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
just a note: the fretboard is going to lose that fretline anyways when i chop it off to make a 32" scale.

i only did the one to see how it looked and it is very pleasing to the eye.

for the next 24 frets i will use real wood glue and let it dry longer.

for a try out though it did the job and let me know how it worked.

ciao
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with using an emery board for a thin piece like that.

Actually wanting a fretless? Now that's crazy.  ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
I agree, a contrasting wood line is much more attractive than white or black plastic on a fretless board.  As for your tools, you certainly are putting your minimalist survival capabilities to the test!   ;)  I never tell my wife when I use her stuff to work on a geetar.  It just disappears...................
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:50:06 PM »
turns after a little investigating, veneer 1/42" thick is .0238 and standard slots are .023. it doesn't take too much force to press with your fingers, .0008" of an inch so this is almost a natural.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:45 PM »
 Well you can't do it with nail clippers and emery boards.....but I've always like the way brass looks for a fret(less) line. Of course you would want to use it on ebony or something similarly hard or you'll get micro-frets. However, it's good to know that if I am ever trapped in a salon, I can still do a little guitar work :mrgreen: kidding aside, pretty clever!

Scott (BassVI)
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »
tomorrow i am getting some wood glue and doing my nail file "fret" job, lol.  the fretboard is still loose so now is the time to work with it on my desk.

i was looking at the bass mocked up today and realized i am going to have to reduce the "thickness" of the bass by making the neck route deeper towards the back. i am using one of those necks off of the bay and have not inset the top "flanges" at the trunion joint into the body and it looks like it might be just a bit higher than i want. i'll straight edge it out tomorrow and see. if i don't i'll have to use a big spacer for the DS 2 pup and that ain't a gonna happen.

ciao

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
I had an EB-0 on which the output jack kept coming loose.  There isn't much length to the threaded shaft, and the thin nut on the outside kept working off.  I dabbed some silver nail polish on the threads and re-installed the nut - great color match, and it secured it nicely!

Sometimes it helps to have two daughters who have left small containers of nail polish in random colors laying around the house....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."