Author Topic: Loose pin on Epi 3-point bridge  (Read 4301 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Loose pin on Epi 3-point bridge
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
Takes off hat, places it over heart, intones just as "Randolph SCOTT" was sung in "Blazing Saddles"...

"Jam-er-SON!!!"   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
Perzackly! ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
Yeah, I tried the Jamersons once and that cured me!  TI all the way now days.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
how good are these Eb3's? i'm interested in getting one, i like the 34" and inlays. do they come in any other colors? i've only seen pics in red. hows it sound? i'm glad to hear they've got some weight to 'em. i like my basses on the heavier side.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
how good are these Eb3's? i'm interested in getting one, i like the 34" and inlays. do they come in any other colors? i've only seen pics in red. hows it sound? i'm glad to hear they've got some weight to 'em. i like my basses on the heavier side.

Mine is the transparent Cherry finish, which is my favorite. They also come in Ebony (gloss black)  I weighed it last night and it's right at 9 pounds, which is heavy-ish for my taste, but still on the acceptable side. You wouldn't want the body any lighter, as it's a slight neck-diver, but a broad suede strap takes care of that OK. The finish and inlays on the neck are very attractive to my eye.

I like the sound of that EB-3, and I like it even better after installing D'Addario Chrome light gauge flats on it.  The action is close to where I want it now.  Both pickups have adjustable pole pieces, which is really handy.  When it came in, all the screws in the neck pickup were slightly below the level of the metal cover, so I eased them out until they were just a bit past flush with the cover.  The E string was a bit weak, so I brought that screw out a bit on both pickups, and screwed the other three screws on the neck pickup back in about one turn.  Now the output of each string matches nicely.

If I had my total druthers I'd have this bass in short scale and it would balance better, but the slender neck plays very well in long scale.  Anyone who wants to be creative could probably install a bridge pickup in an EB-0 and have a short scale version minus the fretboard inlays. The 3-position switch on the EB-3 is just a bridge/both/neck pickup selector, and that's not hard to install.  I think I looked inside the cavity on the back of the EB-0 and figured there was enough room to add at least one switch.  You could have separate Vol/Tone controls for both pickups without needing 4 pots if you put in a pair of stack-knob pots like the one on my fretless P/J clone:

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 09:12:43 AM »
I had an Epi EB-3 for a short while but had to sell it, the neck-dive was VERY bad and I don't care for a really wide strap which might have fixed the problem.
Long-scale neck + guitar-sized body = NECK DIVE
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
There must be some variation in the body wood in those EB-3's.  I've read reviews at Harmony Central which claimed they were the worst neck-divers in history, and others (like mine) which reported neck dive to be moderate.  I think some were made in China, some in Korea - so there may have been different wood types used.  That might account for differences in balance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:29:38 PM by Pilgrim »