Author Topic: Nut files?  (Read 1441 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Nut files?
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
What are you using?  I see lots of of stuff to cut guitar nuts but it looks bleak, and exspensive, on files that are gauged to cut bass nut string slots.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Nut files?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
I use a very cheap needle file set.  A Nicholson set of 5 is around $10.  I just use the round one mainly.  At it's widest end (even where the handle would fit into it if it had one) it's about perfect for E.  Very close to the tip works for G.  Get a file card to keep it clean and cutting.

According to Erlewine, the string slots should be around the radius of the string deep so the string can vibrate properly.  Typically that's the case on vintage instruments.  Today it seems they come from 'the factory' deep, elliptical and way too high above the first fret. The result is bad intonation on the first frets.  I love to see strings standing proud of the nut and bridge saddles.  They stay there even with aggressive playing.  I use a smooth mill file to file down the nut after you get the slots deep enough and then the flat needle file to smooth it out, then polish w400/600 paper

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
There's a very sharp gent on TB who suggests that you can create customized nut slot files by selecting an appropriate diameter drill bit and wrapping one thickness of emery cloth around it.  Of course, you need to allow for the increase in diameter caused by the emery cloth.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:51:48 AM »
That might work! I guess you could do it with number sizes of drill bits, a 38 is .1015 inches.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:09 AM »
That might work! I guess you could do it with number sizes of drill bits, a 38 is .1015 inches.

It's easy enough to wrap one layer of emery cloth around a drill bit, then check the result with calipers to determine actual diameter.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
I bought a nice set from Warmoth that I use all the time.  A good buy as I recall.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:45:21 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
I have a needle file set I've had since the late 70's.... carefully looked after, believe it or not... I also have some diamond-dust files... from my aviation mech days...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
I found a small diameter set of diamond dust files at Harbor Fright - to use them I'd have to measure them, as they're not set up by diameter.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I bought a nice set from Warmoth that I use all the time.  A good buy as I recall.

That's the set I have. At least 18 months since I've used it but well worth the price IMO. Even if you never build, it pays for itself by the second time you file a new nut and do a setup.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »
The Warmoth files look to be the best way to go - but they're pricey.  I think I'll experimant with my needle files as well as give the gauged drill bit/emery cloth thing a stab to start with as my must buy tool list is already longish.  Still, I will eventually wind up with a true set of files if I build much.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »
This is what I've used for years: http://www.voxhumanawebstore.nl/webstore/product_info.php?cPath=373_379&products_id=3463

Cheap and reliable, it works júst right.  8)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
This is what I've used for years: http://www.voxhumanawebstore.nl/webstore/product_info.php?cPath=373_379&products_id=3463

Cheap and reliable, it works júst right.  8)
That's the correct taper...more versatility in buying a set and cheaper in the US.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=needle+file+set&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3145276591144194224&ei=S2ByTNqhBsPflgfk1_WWDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAA#

You can also use fine hacksaw  or sabre saw blades either singly or taped together to the approximate width of slots to 'hog out' rough dimensions...carefully.